Monday, October 01, 2007

Haile the Weekend

When I awoke on Sunday morning, I wondered if Saturday’s zero mileage had indeed resulted in the end of the world: either everything had disappeared, or the fog was just incredibly thick. I got dressed and headed out for a run to check, and it turned out to be the second option. Whew! I would have hated to be single handedly responsible for the destruction of my entire planet. I ran along the Caragh Lake route for a standard 7 mile run, but when the first mile had passed I did a double take at the watch: 7:30. Holy Christ, and I thought I just had been jogging along! I tried to tone down the effort a bit, only to cover the second mile in 7:17. After that I really tried to tone down the effort, because the calves felt a bit heavy, certainly heavier than I would like them to feel at mile 2 of a marathon. I ended doing sub 7:30 for the rest of the run, and it all felt far too easy. If one rest day can do that to my legs, then my major concern next Sunday will be not to get too excited early on and wreck my chances with a few fast starting miles.

When I got home I logged on to the Internet to check the Berlin marathon website, and received news of Haile Gebrselassie’s new world record. All very exciting, but my first thought was to feel sorry for Paul Tergat. HG has taken just about everything from him: Two Olympic gold medals, and now the marathon world record. A lesser man would be screaming in pain and frustration. My morning didn’t end here, I transferred in front of the telly to watch BBC’s life coverage of the Great North Run. It’s so incredibly rare to see a major road running event being broadcast live, I couldn’t miss it, and Shea stayed there watching it all with me. We watched Kara Goucher pull away from Paula Radcliffe, and we witnessed Martin Lel’s incredible sprint finish at the end of the men’s race. It all left me ruing the fact that running receives so little attention in the media. I’d love to watch more, nearly as much as running myself.

I tried to keep myself in check on Sunday, but somehow still ended up working in the garden for 4 hours – the time just flew past. Therefore I can’t really tell what’s responsible for today’s heavy legs, Sunday’s fast miles or the gardening. Mind, the miles still passed reasonably quickly, but the legs definitely had some extra weight attached to them.

Tomorrow is yet another rest day, and Wednesday might end up the last run before the marathon, depending on how I feel. Apparently, some guys in the office are talking about organising a sweepstake on my finishing time. Unfortunately they banned me from taking part myself. Shame.
29 Sep
0 miles, world nearly ended
30 Sep
7 miles, 51:37, 7:22 pace, HR 150
1 Oct
5 miles, 39:40, 7:56 pace, HR 148

Weekly mileage: 41.75 (yes, I’m definitely tapering)

Health Update: The sore throat is gone, to be replaced by a headache and a mild cough, coupled with a general feeling of tiredness.

9 comments:

  1. I noticed the harvest moon on Wednesday evening too while it was rising over the hills as I was finishing up a 7 miles. I can smell a PR this weekend for you...just keep that sore throat at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geb is amazing. Best distance runner ever - no question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas
    Just In case I miss your posts later in the week. The very best of luck at Loch Ness, not that you need it. Your training has been very solid and your racing even better. I'll be there in spirit cheering you on at the Mile 17 hill as the clock strikes 2 hours. Can you put that prediction in your work sweepstake for me (you do the extrapolation @ even pace). Tell then "I'm good for it".

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best and good luck this weekend. I don't need to tell you that you've put in the hard work, now it's all about pacing & enjoying the race. Again, all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thomas,
    We'll be cheering you on in this household! Oh - and I too am glad the world didn't end with your rest day - it would have messed up a lot of marathons this weekend!

    Best of luck, and feel better soon. (Maybe that general tiredness is responsible for the heavy legs)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to include your picture and marathon stats on my blog--“This Is What A Marathoner Looks Like”, along with a link to your blog, if you're willing. You can take a look and see if you'd like to be included in the Marathoner's pics--the info I’d need is in the header.

    http://thisiswhatamarathonrunnerlookslike.blogspot.com/

    Katie from Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are getting primed for a good race on Sunday. It's just one mile after another and you've been there before. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apparently Geb and Tergat are good mates. 71 second 400s is incredible.

    Stay out of the garden Thomas! Yes, you're only problem will be judging the right pace from the start. Good though, you'll be running 7s and it'll feel like nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a good race Thomas, looking forward to reading about another PB.

    ReplyDelete