Tuesday, October 30, 2007

It’s Due ...

... but it’s not coming out just yet. Yesterday Niamh was convinced she was about to go into labour, so much so that she convinced her sister to stay for an extra day. She also started to tease me when I started ironing my shirts “do you really think you’re going to work tomorrow?” Alas, we’re still waiting. Her official due date is today, but since it’s past 7pm already, I don’t think she going to arrive on time.

Cian is still feeling a bit down, he’s still not having much appetite, but the fever is gone and the vomiting has stopped. I’m in the same boat as him, sans the throwing up, but like him I don’t feel much like eating. I can usually force myself to swallow down one bowl of cereal in the morning and some lunch and dinner, but not much. I’ve still got enough energy to go running, and as a result I’m losing weight fast at the moment. In fact, my present weight of 147 is the lowest I can remember; I don’t think I have been lighter than that since my teenage years. I don’t think I’ll stay down there once my appetite returns, though. The most important thing is that Niamh seems to be unaffected, though.

The running is still going fairly well, but the mornings aren’t overly inviting. Due to the end of daylight saving time it’s bright enough to run without artificial light again, but it’s always wet, cold and windy. On Monday I ran the same 10 miles on the same course as on Sunday, and wouldn’t you know it, I ran them at the exact same pace, I was back home at the same time, down to the second. Niamh thinks I’m turning into a robot, especially after I measured my resting heart rate on Monday morning, and it came down to 40, the lowest I’ve ever measured.

Even though I’ve basically run at the same effort level for the last few days, today was markedly slower. It could be down to a number of reasons, maybe my lower food intake is catching up with me, or maybe it was because I ran immediately after getting up, while on the weekend I ran after being up for two hours. Whatever, one slower run isn’t something I worry about. I’m just building up my mileage and running all of the runs at an easy effort. Ideally I’d like to get to 90 or more mpw in November, but how realistic that is with the imminent new arrival I’ve yet to find out.
29 Oct
10 miles, 1:17:20, 7:44 pace, HR 151
30 Oct
8 miles, 1:05:29, 8:11 pace, HR 148
including 7x100 strides

8 comments:

  1. Can't wait to the new one..thru the blog that is! :) Wish you a healthy delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to all of you - delivery and the return to health. It's hard waiting isn't it? My first was two weeks late...I didn't think he'd ever come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a guess ... but I'd say 90 mpw won't be happening anytime soon.

    Good luck with the delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I get excited waiting for the toast to pop out of the toaster... I can't even imagine it being a person. Best wishes to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to encourage you??? our fourth was at least a week late.... but it will mean you can run for another week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the birth goes well THomas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feel better Thomas. Sounds like it's pretty stressful there with all the waiting. Try to enjoy the sleep while you can.

    ReplyDelete