Wednesday, October 03, 2007

One More Step

You never know, but things might be looking up. Yesterday was the first day in about a week when I didn’t feel slightly sick. The headache is gone, and just a bit of a cough remains. With four days to go I think I have fought off most of the cold, and who knows, I might actually be healthy on the start line.

I’m following the taper that the Mystery Coach has outlined in a post a while ago, and it’s a taper, no doubt about it. Today might have been my last running day before the marathon. I’m travelling to Inverness on Saturday, and might not feel like running that day, which would mean three consecutive days of zero right before the race. Today’s run was a last test before the race itself. I got a up a few minutes early, to have time for a warm-up. I followed the same routine I’ll try to do on Sunday, namely running about 100 meters and then walking back, then repeat with a slightly faster run until you’re close to the intended pace. I only did 3 of those, and then I was too anxious to get started. The idea was to be able to hit marathon pace pretty much from the word go, just like on race day. I started out much too quickly, after a minute I reigned myself in a bit. The idea was to run the first mile in about 7:30 and the next 2.5 at 7:15 pace. Of course I got it wrong initially, and the first mile went by in 7:02. That’s definitely the fastest opening mile I’ve ever done in a training run. I slowed down just a little bit, and was curious what the next mile would bring, as there was a fairly steep hill in the middle, but I hit bullseye with 7:15. The third mile saw me questioning the pace. The calves and the hamstrings felt much heavier than I would want them to feel just a tenth into the marathon distance, but I kept going. That mile was slightly downhill but against a headwind, and I came through in 7:11. From then on the same pace started to feel considerably easier, but I’m not sure if that’s because I had warmed up by then, because the worst of the headwind was behind me, or because I knew that the effort would be over very soon. Anyway, the last half-mile passed by in 3:37, right on pace, and I turned around and jogged easily for a mile. The one thing I noticed here was that my HR was in the high 150s and refused to come down. I proceeded with a set of strides, and again noticed that the HR was very slow to come down afterwards. I felt fine all the way home, but the high heart rate is a bit of a concern. It might be related to the cold, in which case I can just hope that I can recover fully over the next 4 days.

And now, look what I just found. For months I have unsuccessfully been trying to find an elevation profile of the Loch Ness marathon. And judging by the search terms that keep leading people to my blog, I’m not the only one. Therefore I was quite pleased when someone posted this in the Loch Ness forum the other day:



The start is on high ground, and keeps dropping until mile 8. Then it’s reasonably flat until mile 16.5m where more than 2 miles of climbing await the weary traveller. Another hill at mile 21 is all that stands in the way until the finish. I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks that this elevation profile is extremely similar to the Boston marathon. As I’ve heard often enough by now, Boston can be fast but it is a difficult course, and the most important thing is not to get carried away on the early downhill miles. I’ll try and keep that in mind.
2 Oct
0 miles
3 Oct
7 miles, 53:10, 7:35 pace, HR 160
first 3.5 miles in 7:02, 7:15, 7:11, 3:37 (avg. 7:10 pace), 5x150 strides on way home

12 comments:

  1. I know that my heart is not normal, but I find that if I start fast or start uphill then my heart rate rises and stays up for the rest of the run. Seems to need a good warmup. The other thing I wonder about is if you were on cold meds - that'd raise it for sure. Most cold meds have a warning for people with high blood pressure (me). If the meds raised your bp that would explain it.

    I'm doing one more run tomorrow night, then taking two full days off before the race. Plus I skipped this morning - sleepin in till 6:20 is such a luxury!

    Can't wait to hear how you do and read the report - again, best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas, that elevation profile is a little deceiving for the first part of the course. There are quite a few little 'ups and downs' - nothing I would call a 'hill', but enough to knock you out of a comfortable rythmn, and I don't recall it feeling like a straight downhill for the first third. As long as you don't go out crazy fast in the first half, with the sort of mileage you've been doing I'm fairly confident you won't find the hills at 17 and 21 too much of a problem. Once you get past the second hill it levels out and then descends back towards the river. Watch out for the 180% turn into the stadium right at the very end, especially if it has been raining! Best of luck, and look forward to reading the report. I may hang about after the 10k, so let me know what colours you'll be wearing so that I can hurl abuse, I mean support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time, I've seen an elevation profile that decends after the start, so this will be interesting, your downhill training will come in handy. And those hills after the halfway point will probably be no problem for you. :) I have a feeling you're going to do very well.

    Good luck! Looking forward to read the recap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're sounding a little stir crazy Thomas. Hope you can hold it together for a few more days and that the world doesn't come to an end (again). Have a great race and do try to hold back for the 1st few miles. Good running!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just in case I don't get back to your blog before the race...Good Luck! Stay close to race pace as possible through the early hills. You'll do well, Thomas. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Thomas
    I have been reading your blog because I am also running the Loch Ness Marathon. Thank you for posting the elevation profile. I too was desperately looking for it without any success, so this is extremely helpful. Best of luck with Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's just about go time! Nice man, hope you kick the cold entirely by the race start. Looks like a fun, speedy course. Best wishes and look forward to the report.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hope you are feeling better by race day! so many people seem to come down with colds the week before their marathon. what's up with that?!?

    GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It doesn't look like too bad a course - at least more downhill than up.

    Good luck Thomas. I'm looking forward to a great result and story when I get back from Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I''m sure that you will not have any trouble settling into the proper pace quickly. Travel safe. Looking forward to your race report. It looks like a fun marathon course.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That profile looks fantastic! Yes, very similar to Boston.

    BTW, your Monty Python comment to my last post cracked me up. Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your kind message on my blog Thomas, but with your amount of practice I am sure you will finish ahead of me. My race number is 1817, I will be wearing a navy shirt and gray shorts (and a shaven head) so please give me a shout as you will run past me.
    Good luck on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete