Sunday, October 28, 2007

Ho Hum

“What are your plans for the long weekend?” “Waiting for the baby to be born”.
I had that short conversation at least three times at work on Friday. Of course we might still be 2 weeks away from the event, but all we can do is wait. And wait. And wait.

I still have permission to go for a run every morning. I offered to take my mobile phone with me, just in case, but I knew that Niamh would laugh that off. Giving birth doesn’t happen that quickly, and I wouldn’t miss it by being out of the house for an hour.

To recap the last three days, they were all slightly under 8:00 pace, and the heart rate was slightly higher than I would it expect to be for that kind of pace. I guess that’s a sign that my aerobic conditioning has taken a bit of a knock in Loch Ness, which doesn’t exactly come as a surprise. A winter of base building is what’s ahead of me, if I manage to get out of the house, that is. It has been really wet and windy over the last few days, enough to make me choose the somewhat sheltered Ard-na-Sidhe road rather than the Caragh Lake road instead, but it looks a bit nicer today. The weather forecast for the next few days is less than promising, though.

It’s a long weekend with a bank holiday Monday, but not just any bank holiday Monday. It’s the Monday of the Dublin marathon, and it feels weird to be at home instead. Niamh’s sister is here for a weekend visit, and asked me why I’m not running it. Niamh pointed to her bump and said “that’s why”. There’s no arguing with that.

Cian complained about a pain in his tummy for the last two days, and now he’s in bed with a 39C/102F temperature. I’m sure he’ll be better soon, but I’ve had a pain in my stomach since yesterday myself. It caused a night of very interrupted sleep, and while I’m not showing any other symptoms so far, this might yet happen. My main concern is not passing it on to Niamh, but how that’s supposed to be prevented I don’t know.

Finally, good luck to Liam and Grellan and everyone else who is running in Dublin tomorrow. I hope you don’t mind a bit of wind and rain, guys.
26 Oct
13 miles, 1:43:24, 7:57 pace, HR 150
27 Oct
8 miles, 1:03:08, 7:53 pace, HR 154
28 Oct
10 miles, 1:17:20, 7:44 pace, HR 149


Weekly mileage: 65

9 comments:

  1. Having recently had a "pain in my tummy" I sincerely hope you are feeling better soon - and that Niamh doesn't get it. Hope the little one arrives soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had gone on a run during when my wife went into labor I would have missed the birth of both our children - she was blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I can't believe its already that time. Can't wait to hear the news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Thomas, I found your blog when searching for Caragh Lake Broadband. Who is your provider? I have tried Eircom and Kerry Broadband but the cannot get me a connection. I assume you are using satellite? Good luck with the little one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thomas,
    From what I am told, if the food handler did not have clean hands, or the knife was not clean then fruit will become contaminated. I guess it's not uncommon. Who knew? I thought it was one of the safest things out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi tlacey, my broadband provider is PermaNet (http://www.permanet.ie/), and no, it's not satellite. If you can receive the Chorus television signal, you can also receive the PermaNet broadband signal, they're using the same mast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Thomas, I will give them a call but I think that I am in a dead zone for the Sliabh Mish masts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pain in the stomach? I hope YOU'RE not pregnant also.

    Rest up and best wishes to you and your family for the new one that's on the way. Very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope everyone is feeling lots better in your household by now. No fun!

    ReplyDelete