Saturday, October 13, 2007

Back to Life, Back to Reality

It’s incredible how quickly time passes. It’s already 6 days since the marathon! I’m still taking it easy, I didn’t run at all on Friday, and just 5 recovery miles today. It went better again, the quads were fine this time, but the left calf is still a bit troublesome. It felt like I had a knot somewhere deep inside that muscle. It’s a bit strange, because it was the right calf that was cramping in the late stages of the marathon, yet it’s the left one that’s playing up now. I’ve started stretching it in hope of alleviating the problem, but if past history is anything to go by, I’ll keep that up for maybe three days.

The one part of my body that’s really sore is my lower back, though. I think it’s related to the fall right before the marathon start, but I can’t say for sure. I was in agony last night, but it’s better today. Sitting in an office chair for 8 hours is probably the worst thing I can do for it, which is why it is better during the weekend. Several Yoga poses that stretch the back seemed to help, but again, past history tells me that I’m not very good at keeping at that sort of thing.

Niamh is reaching the beached whale stage of pregnancy. She’s running out of clothes that fit over her bump, and she’s getting more and more uncomfortable. The official due date is still a bit more than two weeks away. She’s willing for time to pass quickly. Two nights ago she thought she felt the early signs of oncoming labour, but that may have been wishful thinking. In any case, the house is ready for a new occupant, but my guess is that it will be early November until we can welcome her to the world. Exciting as well as tiring times are ahead.

And finally, I want to wish the Three Blind Moose and their Mountain Goat all the best for the MDI marathon. Two of them should theoretically still be in recovery mode after a marathon and a 100-miler respectively, and the other two have spent most of summer licking their wounds. They're all set for a great experience then. Good Luck, guys!

13 Oct
5 miles, 44:45, 8:57 pace, HR 147

9 comments:

  1. Take care of that back. Of all the injuries I've had, it's the back problems that cause the most disruption to my running.

    Best of luck to Niamh in the coming weeks. I'm sure she is getting anxious for a end to her 9 month ordeal. I know it's been said a billion times over, but it if it were up to us males to give birth to children, we'd depopulate the planet in a couple of generations.

    Congrats again on your Loch Ness finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy oh boy, I hope Niamh doesn't read your blog. I can't believe you mentioned "beached whale" in the same sentence as her name just two weeks before due date. Hope you survive that one!

    I am looking forward to welcoming your new little one, can't wait to see the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Backofthepack makes me laugh! I was afraid to say something but maybe you're safe now that all the marathons are over. Thanks for the shout out. The 3 Blind Moose and the Billy Goat are all raring to go. Predicting perfect weather, cool and no wind ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beached whale stage??

    Does she read your blog? If so, good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking the same thing BackOfPack said! But that's gotta be exciting though. I want another one, but don't particular care for "beach whale" stage!

    btw, would you be so kind and shoot me an email @
    ph_stanley@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. MDI went well. The wounded moose went 1 out 2, the goat was miles ahead & finished before we started thinking about the finish and the Canadian moose made everything look easy - including not appearing to need any recovery (while I spent time working on remaining upright).

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope the back starts feeling better soon.

    and poor niamh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the best to Niamh. Either she doesn't read your blog, or she has a thick hide/good sense of humour.

    What is it with calf injuries? Are they contagious? Look after your back too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best to Niamh, but "beached whale?" I'd have gone with "beautiful manatee" but, hey. Hope she doesn't read this. Well done at Loch Ness, I came in about 10 minutes behind you. Just registered for the Connemara Ultra. My first. I have no idea what I'm in for. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete