Sunday, October 21, 2007

Stupid Thomas

Maybe you should read Donald’s recent post before you start with mine; but beware. It seems to be contagious. Donald went at length to discuss the dialogue between Smart Donald and Stupid Donald in his latest race report. When I read it, little did I know that Stupid Thomas was looking up and decided he could do better. He would out-stupid Stupid Donald. He managed to do so quite handsomely.

He held back initially. Smart Thomas had decided that a slow, short recovery effort on Saturday would be just the thing to do. Remember, it’s only two weeks ago since my last marathon, and my HR data is very clear: I’m not yet recovered. A recovery run on Saturday morning, slow and steady with a low heart rate was therefore a good thing. It confirmed that the recovery is still ongoing, my heart rate keeps going down, but it’s still higher than it was before the race.

Then Stupid Thomas took over. Considering my back pain, working in the garden for two hours was never a very smart idea. I thought I was doing well by cutting it short after only 2 hours, but the damage was already done. When I awoke today, I was in pain again; I had been in discomfort for the last few days, but this was worse again. It’s a very clear reminder that you don’t take risks with your back. If it hurts, pay attention. It takes quite some time to clear up. Did you listen, Stupid?

He didn’t. As I’ve already mentioned, it’s two weeks since the marathon, and I’m slowly and steadily increasing the mileage. Today called for 10 miles, the first run of double digits since the marathon. The last time I had increased my mileage I made sure I ran slowly. Today the pace was still reasonably measured for the first 2 miles at about 8:00 pace, maybe a tad faster. I don’t know what possessed me to start an imaginary race against myself at that point, but something did. Stupid Thomas had well and truly taken over. I even knew at the time that running at tempo pace was an idiotic thing to do, but it didn’t stop me. Maybe I tried to outdo Stupid Donald. Or maybe I was running in sympathy with Mike, who seems to have issues with his own Irrational Half by running a gut-busting fast 10-mile race today; not only did he run a marathon 2 weeks ago, he has also gone under the surgeon’s knife in the meantime (all the best, Mike). Anyway, I covered 10 miles in a bit over 75 minutes, which is made worse by the fact that the first 2 miles had been significantly slower. I didn't calculate what the pace was for the other 8 - I don't even want to know. Plus, I can’t believe that 2 weeks ago I managed to run 26 miles at that pace. I must have been in really good shape back then, because today I was knocked out after 10.
20 Oct
5 miles, 42:19, 8:27 pace, HR 143
21 Oct
10 miles, 1:15:24, 7:32 pace, HR 163

Weekly mileage: 47

8 comments:

  1. Clearly, there's plenty of stupid to go around. Maybe we should form a 12-step program or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer man, hope the back starts behaving soon. Runners do indeed often act "stupid" when it comes to injuries. One could pretty much chalk it up normal. Rest and recover well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Thomas, no harm done. You were racing yourself and came in 1st. If the legs feel good then why not go with it! But stick with the recovery plan when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. not stupid just anxious to get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with DawnB's input. Get to feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're an idiot, Thomas! haha

    Get back to recovery now, and see it through. You've come too far to lose your patience with the process.

    Nice work on the 10 miler, but save those efforts for meaningful training.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sent off the video of the highlights today. Look forward to reading a review on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're still in recovery mode Thomas. A bit much to expect good training runs. Take it easy and the running will come back to you.

    ReplyDelete