Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Ouch!

Remember how I hurt my back just before the marathon, and how I have mentioned once or twice that my back felt worse than my legs afterwards? Well, yesterday I went to the gym, and I didn't even think about my back, which had been fine for a few days. After about 5 minutes on the rowing machine I felt an immensely painful shock right there in my back, and I have been in agony ever since. Of course you could say I shouldn't have gone to the gym, but hindsight is always a great thing. I had been feeling fine, and it wasn't until I did my back in that I remembered that I had hurt that particular part of my body. In the middle of a rather disturbed night of sleep (not helped by the presence of a certain 3-year old. As much as I like enthusiastic hugs and kisses, 3am is not the right time) I eventually got up at 4am and took some painkillers, something I haven't done in ages, but I really wanted some more sleep. I didn't know if I would be able to run, but I thought that I had run a marathon without problems immediately after injuring the back for the first time, and decided to risk it. The most difficult part was putting on socks and shoes. I started running gingerly at first but more confidently after a minute. The back held out very well. It isn't a running-related injury, and running doesn't aggravate it. In fact, the best I've felt for the last 24 hours was during my run and for the first hour afterwards. Sitting in the office chair for hours, on the other hand, is pure agony.

Running wise, the recovery is progressing very well. I ran 5 miles yesterday and 7 miles today, and felt very good both times. In fact, today was one of those magical runs, with an amazing set of stars on a completely clear sky, and then the first light of dawn - wonderful! Running can be so rewarding, yet the majority of people will never know, and don't even believe you when you tell them.

The heart rate keeps dropping as well, but it's still nearly 10 beats higher than before the marathon. I can always track my aerobic fitness by measuring the heart rate during my recovery runs, and I can also notice a steady progress from training cycle to training cycle that way. It's fool proof, and just as much as I could tell with absolute certainty before the marathon that I had been in my best shape ever, I can now follow the heart rate on its way southwards until I can call myself fully recovered.

The back injury is as annoying as it is painful, but it looks like it won't stop me from running at all. I don't need painkillers to deal with it, but might take some for a peaceful night of sleep.

And finally, thank you Mark for pointing out this (scroll down a bit to see it). I had never expected to see myself linked to from that particular site, at least not in a positive mention. Wow. Fame at last. It explains why my visitor numbers spiked the other day.

16 Oct
5 miles, 42:04, 8:25 pace, HR 149
17 Oct
7 miles, 56:56, 8:08 pace, HR 146

6 comments:

  1. Oh goodness - I'd be afraid to be ID'd on the LetsRun board. Those guys flame everybody. But I guess you've truly arrived now.

    Hope the back thing works itself out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't get flamed on LetsRun...luck of the Irish!

    One of my favorite things about HR training is that once you have enough data over time, it's very easy to see, objectively, when you are recovered, when you've reached a new peak of fitness, when you're going over the edge, etc. It's a very useful tool once you have the base data to work with.

    Good that your back isn't stopping you from running. I hope it's hurting less soon.

    Cheers! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fame at last! I never comment on Letsrun - too scared. CR Australia is good though.

    Look after the back. A good stretch is to get on hands and knees, stretch arms out in front and lower chin to ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear the recovery is coming along nicely, except for the back of course. I look forward to following your next training cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thomas - Dang! That back thing is no fun. I hope it relaxes soon. 12 hours in a car? We call that cheap! Gas split five ways is much, much cheaper than flying. Oh, wait, I meant to say, we call that fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pulled my back once by turning unconfortably at work - that thing heurt like hell! It took 3 days, 2 massage sessions and a chiropractor visit to loosen up. Do consider it.
    Good for you on the link:)

    ReplyDelete