Friday, September 28, 2007

Countdown

The marathon countdown has now reached single digits, and there’s no doubt about it. It’s getting close.

The main thing I noticed the last two days when I left for my run was that: the sky is immensely beautiful. Yesterday I stepped out of our house to look up in wonder. On the right was the moon, on my left bright Venus, and after looking for a few seconds I could make out a number of stars, and Orion was straight ahead of me, all stars perfectly visible despite dawn getting quite bright. I stood there staring for half a minute, until a second sensation became overwhelming: it was freezing cold, about 2C/35F. I did wear my gloves but shorts and t-shirt, and while that is usually good enough when running at a decent pace, just standing there nearly turned me into an icicle, and I had to set off. I jogged for half a mile, then I thought I’m still cold and increased the pace by a lot, just to keep warm. Actually, the cold was an excuse, and I knew it even back then. I wanted an excuse to run faster than recovery pace, because after Wednesday’s workout I needed some reassurance that I can still run at a decent pace. So I tuned into marathon pace. I hit it too, and it didn’t feel too hard either. On my way back home, from about the 3 miles point, I did start to question myself, not only if running MP at that stage was really such a clever idea, but also how I would be able to sustain that for 25 miles rather than 5. I got slightly reassured when I reached home, because the second 2.5 miles stretch had only taken me 17:55, 7:10 pace exactly. I thought back to the back-to-back marathon pace efforts when I usually struggled to reach 7:15 pace and more often than not ended up with 7:25. Today 7:10 felt much easier. Maybe not while I was running, then it had felt tough enough. But once I stopped and calculated my pace, my mind decided that it had felt easy. Easy enough for 26 miles? Who knows.

Today was a slightly more restrained effort, but since I left home before even 6 o’clock, the night was still very dark and the sky looked even more impressive. I love running beneath the moon and the stars, and it was so bright that I even left the headlamp at home, despite my intentions to run the trails of the Kerry Way. Again I stared up transfixed for a minute when I stepped through the door, and again the cold eventually forced me to move on. The run was magical, the legs felt fast and swift, and climbing about 215m/700ft in elevation did not feel particularly tough either. I love it when climbing feels so manageable (I won’t pretend that it felt easy). After the trail portion I was back on the undulating 5 miles alongside Caragh Lake on my way back home that are part of my long runs, and I increased the pace for a bit. I timed myself for the last 3, and covered them in 22:26 (7:29 pace). It was strange to run with the HR seemingly stuck at 141 and knowing that I was covering the ground at 7:30 pace. I don’t know what HR I can run at the marathon, probably around 160, though I will run by feel, not dictated by the HRM, and with so many beats to spare, things are looking good.

Apart from the fact that I’ve got a sore throat! It started to bother me yesterday, and today it’s worse. I’m absolutely determined not to let this develop into anything else. I could dismiss it as one of those phantom pains that always develop during the taper, but Niamh is complaining too. I started taking Echinacea and vitamins, and considering the fact that I can’t remember the last time I was actually sick, I won’t get sick in the last week before the marathon. No I will not.

Tomorrow is a rest day. Zero mileage, shock, horror. If the world comes to an end, you know why.
27 Sep
5 miles, 37:11, 7:26 pace, HR 150
last 2.5 in 17:55 (7:10 pace)
28 Sep
12.25 very hilly miles, 1:38:20, 8:01 pace, HR 145
last 3 in 22:26 (7:29 pace)

9 comments:

  1. best of luck Thomas! I'm looking forward to reading all about it.

    And, I was shocked (no, seriously) to discover that the world does NOT infact come to an end when you don't run.

    Weird, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing to fear except fear itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no!!! not a cold!!!!!

    I'm sure you'll be fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will there be a tidal wave? Should I move to higher ground? Good luck at holding off the inevitable pre marathon sniffles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No colds! No! That is just the pits when it happens. Enjoy your rest day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two magical runs there Thomas.

    You can't get a cold at this stage! Dose up on vitamin C. Enjoy the rest day. From the HRs it looks like you could be cruising at sub-7 pace on the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you'll be fine Thomas, I'm sure. Very nice post really shows the true joy of running.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a Final Countdown! Good Luck and win those lake monsters ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Take care of that sore throat. You are really getting strong, great climb. Best of luck on your last week of your taper.

    ReplyDelete