- objectively, my HR data is already looking good and heading upwards towards "very good"
- subjectively, I am feeling rather sluggish and tired
At the same time I cannot dismiss subjective feelings either. I'm feeling tired, and I do have to take note of that.
There's only one more week of heavy training left. Maybe feeling tired right now is where you'd want to be anyway. Just don't overstep the mark. Don't get injured. And try not to race on tired legs this time!
I did 2 fairly long morning runs this week, 15 miles on Tuesday and 18 on Thursday. Both required to get up rather early but thankfully with the sun rising at 6 am it was bright enough even at stupid o'clock. I felt a bit sluggish on Tuesday and was surprised afterwards by the faster than expected pace, and also by the fact that I had not slowed down towards the end. That just goes to show that you can't entirely trust subjective effort levels. On Thursday I felt better early on but I did get rather tired towards the end, and I could not help but notice that I had run 15 seconds per mile slower than on Tuesday when I would have thought I had run at the same pace and effort.
Sandwiched between those 2 runs were hill sprints on Wednesday. There was some clear improvement to previous efforts: for the first time this year I did not get a tight chest and I did not have to deal with waves of nausea either. I only headed for home because I had run out of time rather than out of steam as usual. At the very least I'm getting better at doing hill sprints.
My left knee remains am issue. I felt a sharp pain the other day when walking down some stairs, but that's the only time it actually hurt, at all other times it just feels a bit funny without being painful. I can just about feel it at the start of each run and have to ease into the effort but within a minute or two it feels fine, and running itself doesn't seem to aggravate it.
- 23 May
- am: 10 miles, 1:21:00, 8:06 pace, HR 136
- pm: 3 miles, 20:00, 8:40 pace, HR 127, treadmill
- 24 May
- am: 15 miles, 1:55:05, 7:40 pace, HR 142
- pm: 3 miles, 25:58, 8:39 pace, HR 129, treadmill
- 25 May
- am: 7 miles, 1:04:07, 9:10 pace, HR 136, hill sprints
- pm: 5 miles, 44:17, 8:51 pace, HR 131, treadmill
- 26 May
- 18 miles, 2:22:24, 7:55 pace, HR 137