Thursday, January 03, 2008

Dreaming of a Comeback

I rang my doctor this morning to set up an appointment. The Dublin doctor had told me to do so after a week if I’m not totally clear, and I dutifully flowed her instructions. However, during our short phone conversation today, she told me that she thinks another appointment would be unnecessary. Of course I see that as permission to take up running again. I didn’t actually ask if I could go running again; she might have said no (I’ve learned from past mistakes). The current idea is to run 5 easy miles tomorrow morning, and judge how that goes. It means there’s still an outside chance of me making it to Mallow on Sunday. I guess persuading Niamh will be the biggest obstacle along the way.

The best thing about the enforced rest was definitely catching up on sleep. I managed to sleep between 8 and 9 hours each night, and I feel like I’ve finally caught up on my sleep deficit. The worst thing was reading Running with the Buffaloes, itching on nearly every page to go out running myself and not being able to do so.

Last night Niamh and me had a chat about what times I should run in the morning once I get the green light. We agreed that I should be aiming to come back home around 7 o’clock in the morning, which is when Shea has tended to arise in the last few weeks. It means an extra half an hour of sleep compared to what I used to get in the weeks before Christmas, apart from those 20 milers, which would still require me to rise at 4 o’clock.

I missed a few rainy mornings this week, which is why I wasn’t too downhearted about being grounded, and today is what they call a cold snap in Ireland. The temperature at 9 o’clock was 3C/37F, which probably sounds like a heat wave to some guys out there. Of course, the winds chill makes conditions a lot worse than it sounds, and those very same temperatures are responsible for the fact that I come home drenched to the bones after the majority of my winter workouts, and rain paired with strong wind isn’t the most pleasant of combinations, either. I guess we’ve all got our own justified moans about the weather.

Niamh has got some incredibly cute photos of Maia in her camera, but since it’s a stone-age design (i.e. non-digital) I’ll have to fire up my scanner before I can show them off. I’ll do so for the next post. This should be enough incentive for my readers to return, I guess.

10 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the pictures!

    I have to tell you - I would much rather run in -2F with dry air than 37F with wind and rain. Cold is one thing, cold and wet is another thing all together.

    Good luck with the run tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you can get out and run soon. But I'm sure the enforced rest will do you no harm.

    This may be the only time in the whole year when I've ran more miles than you!!

    I wonder how long it will take you to catch up??

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your first run of the year and even more good luck getting the planning permission for Sunday. If it wasn't for Niamh you'd run it blind, on one leg and with both arms in a cast if you had to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marc hates rain. I've dragged him on a few 20 milers in the downpour and talk about complaining!!!!

    Now me, I'd rather have the warmer temps. -2F is just a little too painful on the exposed skin when the wind picks up off the bay.

    I guess we're weather weanies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that book. Hope you're back at it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Marc. When it comes to miserable conditions, 2C and wet are about the worst; closely followed by -20C with winds of 20k+.

    Looking forward to seeing that 1st run. Might even be a PB, eh? (can't miss!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 5 to 10C is about the lowest I have to put up with mid-winter, but at least it's 90% certain to be dry. Ha ha!

    At the moment I'm moaning about the odd day of 34C we've had recently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finally was able to catch up after my holiday haitus...sorry to hear you are ill!! Hope you get better soon so you can get back out there, although isn't the weather terrible nowadays? (Not that that could stop a champ like you!)

    And I love the baby smiling picture!!!!! Glad you all had a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get that scanner out!

    Hope your run goes well with no coughing to follow. I like running in cold temps - as long as it doesn't rain. Eric got me a nice new waterproof jacket for my birthday. Based on the weather forecast, I'll get to test it out tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sure the forced rest will do you good for the season to come. My wife still has an ancient camera as well and I am not much of a picture taker. I have told her she needs to get with the digital age soon.

    I hope you are all ready for your comeback.

    ReplyDelete