Saturday, January 12, 2008

Pneumonia

Definitely not what I wanted to hear, but that’s the final diagnosis. I took a turn for the worse on Wednesday. I rang my doctor for the fourth time in five days, and once again she fobbed me off, assuring me that I was getting better, and that she really didn’t need to see me. By that time I had totally lost what little confidence I had in her and on Thursday morning I rang another doctor’s surgery. Within 90 minutes I was in the doctor’s office, what a difference! I spent 25 minutes in there with two major results, firstly she prescribed me another dose of antibiotics because my left lung was definitely not clear, and then she told me to have a chest x-ray as soon as possible. We drove to Tralee on Friday morning, and by the evening I had the results. Pneumonia. Not very severe, but pneumonia all the same.

I am an adult, and there is no doubt that the main responsibility lies with me alone. Each run that I have undertaken since the middle of December I did in the full knowledge that I was not entirely healthy. I also ignored the advice I frequently give out to others, namely to run if the symptoms are above the neck and to stay at home if they are below. My initial cough was so mild that I dismissed it. Of course, in hindsight, a few days of rest back then might have sorted out the problem there and then. However, my old doctor must definitely shoulder some part of the fault. With her constant refusal to see me my treatment got delayed by 6 days, and since I had originally asked for an appointment 4 days before my first turn for the worse, I think that full-blown pneumonia could have been prevented. Her diagnosis over the telephone of a viral infection, finally, must go down as the least professional behaviour by a doctor that I have personally have come across.

But enough of the whining. By trial and error I have developed some survival techniques for the violent cough attacks that come with pneumonia. Lie on your side, with the elbow underneath your chest (the last bit is important, as I found out in one of the error stages of practical research). Coughing is also the second most painful thing you do with pneumonia. Having hiccups is the most painful one (“huckouuuuwwwww!!!”). The third most painful thing is laughing, as I found out when I followed this link from Ewen’s site. Follow it if you want to see it, but don’t if you’ve got pneumonia. Plus, I’ve always fancied Natalie Imbruglia.

You probably think I should be in bed rather than on the computer, and you’re probably right, but my back is so painful from all those hours in bed that I needed to get out of there for a few minutes. Anyway, don’t expect to see me back on the roads for a while. At the moment I’m so miserable that I don’t even care about that.

16 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the 'pneumonia'. Hope you can shake it off as soon as possible.

    And no doubt you'll be feeling even worse when Man C lose to Everton this afternoon:)

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we be friends again tomorrow???

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Bummer for sure. Rest well and hope you're back running sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, that's tough to take when you could have been diagnosed weeks ago! Take it easy and get better soon.

    While you're down and out you may be interested in this non-running blog of a WW1 English soldier.
    http://wwar1.blogspot.com/

    It's getting alot of buzz lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw that's dreadful. I assume you won't be returnng to your original doctor?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's unbelieveable Thomas, I'd advise a change of doctor.

    Make sure you're 100% before even dreaming of running and then wait a few days - you don't want anything to linger. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to make you laugh so much Thomas. Glad you enjoyed it - Natalie is a good sport too.

    All the best for a quick recovery - hopefully it'll only be a couple of weeks' missed running.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a major bummer Thomas. Hope you begin to feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, terrible!!! Get better soon and get a new doctor.


    Rest, rest, rest, rest, remember to drink fluids, rest, rest, rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nooooo! thank god you finally got a good doctor! that other one sounds like a quack.

    i've had pneumonia and it's no fun. i've known people who have cracked their ribs from the coughing (not to scare you or anything).

    Bah. Try to rest up, and best wishes for a speedy return to good health!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bummer, Thomas. Rest well and get healthy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear about the pneumonia. Hope you're 'enjoying ' some rest even though i know you would rather be out on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Try the link now Thomas, it should work. Pneumonia or not you're still sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Take care of yourself, and thanks for the link/laugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my. get better soon! i'm so glad you found a new doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, that sucks!

    glad you found a better dr.

    ReplyDelete