Saturday, January 05, 2008

You Knew This Was Coming

Let’s get the less important things out of the way first, I’ve returned to the world of running, albeit tentatively. I snuck out yesterday morning for an easy 5 mile run, and it would have been slower than 9:00 pace had it not started raining with about three quarters of a mile to go, and I put in an extra gear to avoid to worst of the weather. Today, Saturday, I went out for a bit more, 7 miles, and a bit faster, but again the weather turned, and it started raining just as I was passing the same point as yesterday – spooky. It even started hail stoning, but luckily the beans were small and didn’t hurt, and once again it made me accelerate over the last stretch. Mother Nature seems to want to make sure that I’ll end my runs strongly.

The heart rate was elevated for both runs. In fact, today it was so high that I doubt the accuracy of my HRM. Nevertheless I have decided to forego tomorrow’s race in Mallow. I’m not 100% healthy yet, and I doubt I would be at my best, therefore I don’t see the point in driving 90 minutes each way for a 10-mile run. We’ve got a few things to do with the kids anyway, and Niamh would definitely not be happy if I took the car to go to a race that I’m not really prepared for. I didn’t even argue, I informed her that I wasn’t going, and from her reaction I gather that she wouldn’t have let me go anyway.

4 Jan
5 miles, 44:45, 8:57 pace, HR 147
5 Jan
7 miles, 53:58, 7:42 pace, HR 162(?)


And now, Ladies and Gentlemen, the moment you’ve all been waiting for, Maia Bubendorfer in all her gorgeousness. The 4 pictures are: Maia and her Aunty Cliona, Maia proves once and for all that she's better looking than her daddy, Maia (in white) and her cousin Lilly (who is four weeks older), Maia having a grand old chat with big brother Shea.

Maia and her Aunty ClionaMaia proves once and for all that she's better looking than her daddyMaia (in white) and her cousin Lilly (who is four weeks older)Maia having a grant old chat with big brother Shea

14 comments:

  1. Nice to see you easing back into it. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise decision Thomas. You have to think of your long term goals (Connemara et al). Those HR's will come down as your recover fully from your illness. I may go to Mallow if the weather is favourable - my next door neighbour is running it so the pressure may be on.

    Can't argue with you on Maia's good looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maia looks very engaged with the world! Great pictures, and an adorable child.

    My hr was up with my simple cold - it's just now starting to come back to normal. Yours will drop soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeez, what a cutie (no, not that dude with the glasses) =)

    I'm with you on the race. It's not much use to race when you're not ready and hungry, as I think it dulls the "edge" you get by racing a bit more sparingly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a happy baby! Beautiful.

    Seems like a good decision by Niamh not to let you race ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back from the dead. Recover well. Cute kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Thomas, I lost track of your blog for a while and just added you on my bloglines.

    Noticed your goal of 4000 miles and wonder for some reason why so many? Does your body hold up to it? What did you run for mileage last year?

    There is some good stuff out there on breaking three hours. I wish you luck and feel free to send any questions my way if I can help.

    btw, very cute pictures of the little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pics! And good call on skipping the race.

    ReplyDelete
  9. don't be surprised to see your heart rate being 10 bpm higher for a given training pace than when before you stopped running.its just part of detaining !
    cute baby pics.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. your daughter is a peach. congratulations again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thomas,

    Smart move on your end. Sure your family will appreciated it. Your kids look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear you are back to running! Take it easy, you know what you can handle.

    And I do love baby pictures!! She is adorable and I will echo what someone else said, she looks very engaged in the pictures with her aunt and brother...I think you have a genius on your hands. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful baby -- congratulations.

    Well, I'm glad someone's running -- I've just come back. Probably best to avoid racing if you're not ready for it. Running when you're not healthy leads to being reinjured.

    ReplyDelete
  14. she's absolutely beautiful, thomas!

    ReplyDelete