Saturday, January 26, 2008

Baby Steps

I met my doctor again on Friday (we’re on first name terms by now), and she gave me the results from the chest x-ray. Most of the pneumonia is gone, but I’ve still got a 2x3 cm area of residue in my left lung. Nevertheless, she gave me the go-ahead to go running, but I had to promise to take it easy. She said something along the lines, “run a distance that would be ridiculously long for me, but is awfully short for you”. I think I like that doctor, she understands. She actually offered to write me a certificate for yet another week off work, but I asked to be allowed to get back to work. I am bored stiff at home, and she didn’t object. But cycling to work is out of the question, Niamh will have to drive me in her car.

Coinciding with me finally being let off the leash is an improvement in the weather, and after lunch, when I knew Niamh had 40 free minutes before she had to collect the twins from school, I asked for permission to go running right there and then. After some negotiations (“Can’t you just run 1 mile?” “NO!”) I went out for three miles. I felt weird at first, almost light headed, but that went away. However, the heart rate was sky high and I decided to cut it short and turned around after just one mile, to make it a very short 2-mile run. I thought I ran so slowly it felt like standing still, but it was 8:21 pace, which was probably a good bit faster than what the doctor had in mind.

I got another chance Saturday morning, and even though a dark cloud was lurking in the background it never rained, so I got away with that. Somehow I managed to run a whole minute per mile slower than the day before, even though it pretty much felt the same. Again I felt a bit strange over the first mile, but I felt better with each and every step and decided to add a bit to my run. I was tempted to run all the way to Ard-na-Sidhe, which would have made it 5 miles, but decided to err on the side of caution and turned around after 2 miles. I was so happy to be back on the road, I can’t describe that feeling. Something was strange though. You would expect that someone who’s still recovering from pneumonia to feel it in the lungs first, wouldn’t you? Instead my heart rate was again sky high, both calves started to stiffen up towards the end, yet my breathing was so slow, calm and relaxed that you would have thought I was walking along at snails pace.

I have no idea how easy I’m supposed to take it, but taking it easy is what’s on the cards. I didn’t feel any ill effects from either run, and if the weather is fine tomorrow (apparently it will be), I’ll be out on the road towards Ard-na-Sidhe again, and I’ll see how I feel. In a few days I’ll have a much better idea how it’s going. I expect the heart rate to drop quickly, and if it doesn’t then I have to rethink things again. I’m still signed up for the Connemara ultra in April, but if I will be able to do it is rather questionable at this moment in time.

25 Jan
2 miles, 16:42, 8:21 pace, HR 162
26 Jan
4 miles, 37:18, 9:19 pace, HR 156

14 comments:

  1. Great first steps Thomas. Easy does it and you'll be back in form in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're being so smart, you'll be back in the full bloom of health in no time.

    meanwhile, i wish we lived closer because this is probably the only time i'd have an even chance of keeping up with you!

    Love the new header btw (i hope it hasn't been up there for weeks, and i'm just now noticing it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you're out running again. I'm sure you'll bounce back quickly...don't push, it will come easy.

    Super cute videos you put on YouTube. I was curious how pronounced your accent was (I'm a big fan of the Irish and Scot accents), and I have to say I was kind of disappointed at how little of an accent you have! But hey, it's not your fault.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect you'll be running Connemara. I think you'll be able to go the distance, but whether you can cover it at the speed you want to - that will be the real question. Even if you're speed isn't back, wouldn't it be valuable as a long run anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  5. As one who has had pneumonia a few times, it is ususally the fatigue that does me in.

    You will recover in time so as Eric said, don't push it, no matter how bored and eager you are to get out there and run. Your body has spent an awful lot of energy fighting the infection, give it a chance to fully recover before you demand too much of it.

    My 2 cents worth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Thomas,

    Just stumbled across your blog. I too am coming back from injury - nothing as serious as pneumonia though... mine was just a stress fracture.

    You're right, things kind of hurt that you don't expect to hurt when you start running again!

    Anyway, hope the come back trail continues well...

    Regards,
    Mart
    I've also added a link to your blog at mine (www.addictedtorunning.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thomas,

    Don't know if I got into Ballycotton 10 as I applied kinda late. However if my entry was in on time I should get in (no lottery applies) as I completed one of their summer series 5 milers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to know you're getting out again. Baby steps is exactly the right approach. Good luck with your comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to hear you are taking it easy. I look forward to you being at full strength again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I tore up my tibia and then on an early training run after stepped on a shard of glass that punctured my foot I felt like I was a newcomer to the sport of running. After a couple of weeks of "sucking wind" I was right back at it.

    Take it slow at first but you really have an eternity before your race in April. No reason to go out too fast too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on being back out on the road! Take it easy though...could the calf soreness be decreased hydration because of your illness? Remember, lots of water!

    ReplyDelete
  12. maybe a month ago I would have been albe to keep up with. I can't even say that now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thomas, I missed a lot. First of all Congratulations with your little girl's appearance! You're a lucky father, Man!
    Pneumonia?!! Wouldn't it be save to keep increasing mileage closer to the warm period - April (at least in my places), well in this case Ultra race is out of the schedule.
    HR - you will manage it well soon I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to see you out and running again. I realize we are all telling you the same thing, but I'll pile on anyway. Take it easy means that you are in no rush to get back up to 50+ Mile weeks at your usual pace. Unfortunately, your body and brain will tell you to keep pushing until you break something. Keep the pace low and slowly build up the mileage.

    ReplyDelete