Monday, December 31, 2007

Nice timing

For once, December 31 is falling nicely into the week where I have no running news, so I can use that space for the obligatory end-of-year post.

Looking back at it, I had a spectacular year of running. One year ago I had gone to bed thinking how nice it would be to break 20 minutes for 5k, but realistically I would have to wait until 2008 for my running to reach that level. Little did I know that it would take me just 12 hours to reach that level when I ran 19:52 in the New Year’s race in Phoenix park, and within half a year I had taken another 36 seconds off that time, which was mind boggling. Even better was my time in Adare in March, when I broke sub-40 in my still only-ever 10k race. That was even more unexpected, and something to celebrate, particularly so because this was merely a preparation race for the Connemara ultra, and even then it was just a mere consolation for missing out on Ballycotton. My first ever ultra went extremely well, and even though now I look at the time and am not overly impressed, back then I was in high heaven just for finishing the race. I’d love to run a longer ultra (I think I’ve already mentioned that, uh, about a dozen times this year), but Connemara is the only ultra on the entire island (not counting that silly orienteering thingy they do in the Wicklow mountains), and those ultras in the UK keep messing up the rest of my schedule, so I’ve yet to commit to any of those. Lastly, I ran 3:12 in my only 2007 marathon, which was fast enough to qualify for Boston, a goal that had looked further away than the stars only one year ago. One glance at my sideboard confirms that I had a good 2007, every single PR is from this year. I wonder if there will ever be a year again when I can say that?

There are no miracles in running, all those race times came as a direct result of my training, and the whole idea of that was basically to run as many miles as I could. The final counter stopped at 3704, which is about as many miles for one single year as I had done in all my running time together before that, not I have been running for very long. Health permitting, I’m confident I’ll surpass that mileage again in 2008, but we’ll see, especially so as I’m still grounded.

As far as my “quite severe” chest infection goes, I’m definitely getting better, but I’m still coughing a lot. It took a day for the antibiotics to kick in, but at least by now I don’t feel like I’m about to cough up half of my lungs each time. However, my breathing is still rasping at times, and I’m already halfway through my medication. My participation in Sunday’s race is rather doubtful at that point, and a second visit to the doctor towards the end of the week is more likely than a trip to Mallow. Niamh wouldn’t let me take the car anyway if she were in any doubt about my health, and who can blame her? Even though Mallow is one of the closest races to me, I’ve never made it there yet.

Thanks for reading my blog, it’s been a great 2007, and Happy New Year to everyone out there. Have a good 2008.

14 comments:

  1. You deserve it! Over 3000 miles is just, well, amazing. Thanks for being a constant source of inspiration.

    Happy New Year to you and your family Thomas. I'm sure you'll continue to set records in 2008.

    Melisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas - Get well and I hope you have a great start to 2008. You have certainly put your mark on 2007. Well done!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, you racked up some serious mileage! Nice going. That along with your other accomplishments makes it a successful year indeed. Rest up and have a great 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy new year thomas! what a year for you! and don't forgot to toss a new baby in there!

    you're really an inspiration to all of us back-of (end-of?) Packers out here.

    Here's to 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy new year Thomas.

    That's certainly an impressive 2007 running record. Average of 71 miles per week. Topping that won't be easy.

    I read somewhere that a sub 1:30 HM and sub 40 min 10k are a pre-requisit for a sub 3:15 Marathon - you certainly showed this in 2007. I hope to follow suite in 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's quite a sidebar of PR's and you've certainly proven that mileage is king! Nice year, now get well and best wishes for a great '08!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've come a long way baby. Enjoy 2008, which is when all the hard work from 2007 will really start paying off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on a great year, all the best in '08.

    P.s. the forced recovery now will aid you well in the weeks to follow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indeed you had a great running 2007 full of important p.r. Congrats. Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Thomas, To you and your family and happy healthy new year as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Thomas. Thanks for your comment. Sorry to read of your chest infection. That can't be at all pleasant.

    Visited your fair Isle last month for the first time, albeit in the North and very briefly, and think I'll have to visit again!

    Congrats on an amazing 2007, and a Happy New Year.

    All the best.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year to you Thomas! 3,000? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy new year Thomas!

    You've certainly worked hard this year, and deserve every one of those PBs.

    I'm sure there'll be equally good years in the future. The best years usually come after 10 years or so of training. I know mine did.

    Glad you're feeling better, and all the best for 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a had a great year, congrats on your achievements.

    You're dead right about my numbers, lots of room for improvement and thanks for the tip on my pace you must have been thinking i was on steroids or something?

    All the best for 08.

    ReplyDelete