Sunday, January 20, 2008

Recuperating

I went to the doctor again on Friday, and the results were quite promising. Both of my lungs seem to be clear now, but I’ll have another chest x-ray on Monday to confirm that. I’ve stopped coughing, but I still have a pain in my left chest, especially early in the morning. The doc doesn’t know what it is, but she said we must not ignore it.

She’s told me to stay off work for another week; to be honest, I’m not particularly pleased about that. I’m bored stiff being stuck at home, there is only so much reading you can do before you get cabin fever (at least I do). On the other hand, she told me I could maybe run 2 or 3 miles at the end of the week as long as I’m pain free and as long as it’s not raining. That’s much earlier than I thought I would be allowed to run; on the other hand, it has been raining here almost non-stop for the last two weeks, so at the moment saying that I can only run if it’s not raining is almost the same as being told to stay at home, full stop. Then again, the atrocious weather made staying at home easier. It’s not overly tempting to go out for a run when your driveway is completely flooded and you can see the trees being bent over in the gale.

Niamh has already announced she will kill me if I have a relapse, and I don’t think she’s joking. I still don’t know if I will be able to train again anytime soon (I really don’t regard 2 or 3 miles as training). On the other hand I think I’ve learned my lesson, painful as it was.

9 comments:

  1. Somehow, it's just not fun to have time off work when you are stuck at home sick! Hope you get a chance to run this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you may be on the road to recovery sooner than expected. Certainly don't want a relapse of what you've been through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do whatever it takes to get better Thomas! Glad to hear you're on the upswing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't let Niamh kill you, it will totally disrupt your training once your healthy again!

    Heal up dude!

    Trail Scat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to read you are feeling a bit better. Look forward to reading you are running again soon.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see that you're coming around, and I like the photo (I’m busy trying to find one for myself). Say, this might not help this time around, but check out this link:

    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--7556-3-2X3X4-4,00.html

    It's an ultra marathon training program. It might not be what you're looking for but I find all programs interesting and can usually find one good idea. All the best with a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photo Thomas. Certainly you have it all in Kerry (well perhaps you could do without the rain).

    Recover well and remember easy does it - Niamh's right, the last thing you need is a relapse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best not to have Niamh kill you.

    Sounds like you need a windproof Gortex jacket or a treadmill.

    Nice header photo Thomas. I'd also like to achieve the 8 hours sleep resolution.

    ReplyDelete