Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Counting the Days

I think I’m still reasonably sane, considering that I’m in the middle of the taper by now. At least Niamh hasn’t commented on any mood swings or similar behaviour as of yet. I am getting the familiar butterflies in the stomach whenever I think of the marathon, but that’s to be expected.

There isn’t much to say about the recent running. I did 5 easy miles on Tuesday, which were fine apart from the freezing cold rain that caught me in the middle. Autumn is definitely here, but since we never really had a summer, that’s not saying much. Today, with 11 days to go before the race, I tried to run my last interval workout, but that didn’t go very well. I had originally planned to do this tomorrow, but a post from Mystery Coach had specifically mentioned day 11 for this, and who am I to argue with the voice of wisdom? I felt quite good and expected a good workout, and 3x1 miles with 2 minutes rest were on the menu. When the first mile went through in 6:03, I was pretty happy. Unfortunately, things went downhill quickly from there on, mile 2 took 6:11, which was a bit of a downer, but I completely crashed and burned on the last one. I knew from the first step that it wouldn’t go well because the legs were heavy and tired from the word go, but to run it in 6:23 was still a bit of a blow. I guess I ran the first one too fast, but still. This kind of slowdown was ridiculous. It wasn’t due to a lack of trying, the heart rate reached 180 on each of the three repeats. If it’s a sign of a bad day, tired legs despite the easy days or a glaring lack of stamina, I don’t know, but since it’s too late to do anything about it now, I’ll try to purge today’s events from memory. After all, I’m going to run 26.2 consecutive miles, not 3 miles at all-out effort, and those are two entirely different things, right?

And now for something completely different, my car refused to start last Thursday. I guess after 15 years of service (only the last one for me) that tends to happen, but the engine is still in good shape, and I hope the starter motor can be fixed without much ado, because a new one would not be worth it. Niamh drove me to work on Thursday, Friday and Monday, but yesterday I took Niamh’s bike and her purple cycling helmet and cycled into work instead. The 5 miles took me 22 minutes each way, which is faster than expected, and if I hadn’t been caught in a short but hefty rain shower yesterday morning, it would have been an even better experience. I have been thinking about cycling to work for quite some time. I couldn’t do it last year because I had to deliver Cian to his crèche, but he’s going to a different place this year which is not on my way, and there was nothing to stop me apart from my own lethargy. I realise that it’s not the ideal time to start cycling, this being the beginning of autumn and the marathon less than two weeks away, but it was kind of forced on me by the circumstances. I hope to have the car back by the end of the week, and I’ll drive to work next week, but after that I’m seriously contemplating switching to the bike for most days. We’ll see.

For the time being I’m blaming today's bad workout on the additional fatigue brought on by the unaccustomed bike ride. Actually I have no idea if 2x22 minutes on the bike would have any effect whatsoever, but I like that excuse anyway.
25 Sep
5 miles, 42:57, 8:35 pace, HR 133
26 Sep
7.5 miles, 58:33, 7:48 pace, HR 150
incl. 3x1 mile in 6:03, 6:11, 6:23

8 comments:

  1. I'm in taper mode too, but no tempo runs for me. Rick and I skipped the hill run today - using taper as the excuse. Isn't it wonderful?

    I bet you were lovely in Niamh's purple helmet... I've been talking to Eric about getting a bike to ride to work - it's less than a mile away. The preschool is maybe another mile to mile + half from there. The thing is, it would give me helmet hair. I just don't know if I can do helmet hair all day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I guess I was suppose to be tapering too..hmmm I guess I better cut back.

    Good luck on the car repair. Biking to work sound ideal only problem for me is, it's like 45 miles each way! Too far me... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doing speed-work when you're tired at this point in the training (11 days out and tapering) seems a bit self-defeating to me. I think Eric handles this sort of thing the right way by bagging a workout for a day and coming back to it a day later if the legs don't have it and things look to get worse on the second repeat instead of better.

    As good as the coach is, you're the one wearing the legs. You seem to be well-tuned to your body, and the most important thing now is to arrive at the line fresh and sharp, in that order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Pregnant women are more prone to mood swings than their tapering husbands.

    2 minutes sounds like an awfully short interval between 6 minute efforts. Jack Daniels "Running Formula" recommends repeats no longer than 5 minutes. Therefore mile intervals are out unless they are at 5 minute pace or less. It looks like the pace/rest period could have done with some adjustment.

    A "glaring lack of stamina" it aint. Aren't you the guy that did 13.1 miles @ 06:43 pace a few short weeeks ago.

    Why not run to and from work (assuming you can shower/change at work).

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bad workout at this point means almost nothing - except as a reminder that you should be resting.

    Enjoy your taper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Looks like three at 6:12 would have been achievable.

    You haven't been doing much running (any?) at this pace, so the muscle fibres needed for that pace aren't as well trained - nothing to do with a lack of endurance. On the day, at marathon pace you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i hate it when i run a mile in 6:23. wait, was that in dog years? :)

    i'm thinking of riding my NEW bike to work, too, since i'm only five miles away. Now, if only everyone would get out of their SUVs so that i don't get killed on the way. they are none too fond of bikers here in my nation's capital.

    good luck with the car!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're all right. The hay is in the barn and don't pull the plant out of the ground just yet. Hope you can stay sane for a few more days. This is going to be very interesting ;-)

    ReplyDelete