Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Reflections

Thanks for all the nice comments about the race, they are all very welcome. I can’t take credit for the “chicked” expression, I got that from Eric’s most recent race report, and it actually was a woman who had come up with it. I found it funny enough to plagiarise, though (and I'm relieved that nobody took exception).

Andrew and Mike between them came up with the perfect outlook for the future: I’ll be one of the old guys myself soon enough, but on the other hand there are always a few oldies around to humiliate the whippersnappers, and that’s something to look forward to. That reminds me, I hope that Neil O’Conaill, the “oldie” who put me into my place, won’t ever read my race report, since I estimated his age to be 50. He actually ran in the M40 category. Oops.

The other thing I learned from the results is that the two girls who I tried to hunt down in vain were the only women in the race to beat me. Somehow I think that makes up for beating me. I don’t mind being outclassed by top runners.

Niamh suggested that next year she’d run 13 miles in the heat while I mind the children. She’s convinced that running is the easier job.

I’m probably known by now as the idiot whose race reports are longer than the race. You probably won’t believe me when I say that I actually left out a few things, like the fact that before the race I felt a distinctive pain in my right shin (that’s the ongoing shin splints issue) and in my left hamstring (most likely caused by sitting in the car for 2 hours), but neither was noticeable during the race itself. And I didn’t tell you that I still can’t drink from a cup and run fast at the same time. At each water stop I lost some ground while trying to sip a little bit of water. I ended up pouring most of it down my neck anyway. For the last 2 stops I grabbed a cup form the first person, poured it over my head, then grabbed a second cup for drinking. That worked pretty well. And did I mention that I got a blister on my left foot? No, I didn’t. See? I could have written a race report twice as long, but I don’t think anyone would have bothered reading it.

My right shin has been fairly painful ever since, and I’m back to icing it again several times a day. It’ll get better again soon.

As for my running since the race, it has all been slow. I’m still in recovery mode, and today’s HR was a few beats higher than similarly paced runs in the last two weeks. I will definitely do another recovery run tomorrow and maybe try to run a bit faster on Thursday, but only if I feel ok. The next long run won’t be until Friday, when I’m going to do my last 20-miler. The marathon is getting close.

10 Sep
7 miles, 1:03:54, 9:07 pace, HR 128(!)

11 Sep
10 miles, 1:24:46, 8:28 pace, HR 137

8 comments:

  1. A belated congrats on your race. That's one heck of a fast run. Great job man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sending Eric over to teach you drink from a cup while running - he's good at it!

    It is okay to get chicked by top runners - it's gonna happen, so it better be by the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas,

    Drinking from a cup is actually quite simple. I'm surprised you have not been able to teach yourself but as a master of drinking water from a cup on the run I will share my bountiful knowledge of the subject.

    1) As you run up to the water station look the handoff person in the eye and show your intent to grab water from them.
    2) Grab the water and immediatly spill about half of it.
    3) Drink the water quickly asperating about half of it into the upper lobes of your lungs.
    4) Continue running but don't try to subdue the violent coughing as your lungs attempt to clear themselves of the water.
    5) If you are lucky you might get your picture taken as water cascades out your nostils.
    6) Wasn't that refreshing?

    OK, so that's what usually happens. The real trick to successfully grabbing a water cup is to pinch the top when you make the grab then keep the top pinched so the water won't slosh out as you run. In fact if you pinch and then kink the cup at the middle of the lip it will form a small opening on each end. You can take smaller sips this way and take your time consuming the tiny little cup. Try this at home before race day.

    Sometimes I'll grab the first two cups to throw on me and a third to drink. At marathons I typically walk behind the table and grab my own water two cups at a time.

    Three years ago when I was running the Portland Marathon in Oregon they had water in white cups and gatoraid in green cups. They had a system that worked. Unfortunatly the folks at the last water station at about mile 24 didn't get the memo. I came running in and grabbed a white cup and tossed it into my face. Nothing like a sticky finish with gatoraid plastered to your face and clothing. Since then I've always yelled out water or sports drink if a choice is provided.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great race Thomas, looks like you're in fine form. Get practicing that drinking technique for the marathon - and watch out for the sports drink too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Niamh in her assertion that running is the easier job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And remember that you should be running slower during the marathon and 'should' be able to run and drink at the same time. Centum has good tips. I gave up trying to drink during 1/2's as it only caused side stitches. Used the water to cool and rinse my mouth out only. Taper approaches! Lots of RICE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thomas I wish I could write a race report like most!!!

    I could understand where Niamh is coming from :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should take Niamh up on that dare.

    I hope you're back to feeling normal for the 20 miler.

    ReplyDelete