Saturday, September 15, 2007

Not Long Now

Getting up early is definitely the biggest drawback of running all your runs in the morning, especially so if you’re doing your long runs during the week. Once more this meant getting up before even 5am, but I took solace from the fact that this would be the last time for a while.

It was a moonless and cloudy night, and for the first time this year I had to accept the fact that it was pitch dark when I left the house. I literally could not see the hand in front of my eyes; I stumbled around for a minute, hoping that once my eyes got adjusted to the dark I would be able to make out the road, but to no avail. I had to get back home, dig out my headlamp, find some batteries, figure out how to change the batteries in the damn thing, and finally I was ready to go again. The rain had started in the meantime, which was an unwelcome surprise, but turning around and going back to bed never crossed my mind.

I was surprised at my starting pace. The last few weeks have always seen me start at around 9:00 pace, but on Friday I churned out 8:20 from the start, and it was only going to get faster. I ran the same route as for last week’s long run, clockwise around Caragh Lake. Not even the hills slowed me down this morning, or at least I made up for it again on the downhills, and by the time I reached the 13 mile point I was well below 8:00 pace on average. At that point I accelerated again, and hoped to run the next 7 miles at marathon pace, but it didn’t quite turn out that way. I think I could have run faster, but it would have felt faster than marathon pace effort. I thought it would be wiser to stick to an effort that felt like I would be able to keep up for 26 miles rather than force the pace, but if that sounds like a bad excuse then maybe it is. Anyway, I covered the last 7 miles in 52:18, which would equate to 7:28 pace, but I think it was slightly longer than 7 miles, and the pace might have been a tad faster, but not by much. However, the entire workout had only taken me 2:35:01, which is definitely the fastest I have ever covered 20 miles, and that includes any race.

Today (Saturday) called for a recovery effort after that long run, and I duly headed out in the morning sunshine, taking it easy and just letting the legs do their own thing. Each time I checked the watch I was surprised by the pace, but it really was an easy effort. There isn’t much to say about the run apart from the fact that I never had a run at sub-8:00 pace that felt so incredibly easy. Some people measure their fitness by doing tempo runs, or time trials, or speed workouts. I can always tell how well I’m developing by the pace and the heart rate of my easy runs, and with 3 weeks to go to the marathon I’m nearing peak fitness. Before every single one of my marathons (and the one ultra) I have always felt in the best shape ever, and this one is no exception. I can’t wait!
14 Sep
20 miles, 2:35:01, 7:45 pace, HR 147

15 Sep
10 miles, 1:19:55, 7:59 pace, HR 142

9 comments:

  1. I like to think of golfing more as 'relaxing' than 'lazy.'

    However, it was not relaxing at all since I was TERRIBLE! Oh well....

    Great job on your running lately, your paces have been great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas I really admire you. you are doing so well!! congratulations!! please share your secret with the rest of us!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, Mr. Sexist and Mr. Age-ist, what you need now is to stick around a 40+ yo woman at the marathon who can bring you to your 18 min PR...congrats on half, and had a good laugh at your expense:) Run on! Oops, I mean, taper on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olga's onto something there, just latch onto the top woman and things will be good! I'm sure they'll appreciate the company too ;-) (tee hee)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations with fastest 20 miler, I know what it means "to take solace from the fact that this would be My Last 20 miler this period" and suddenly it turns out to be the best 20 miler! Have a Good Taper and Great Race!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thomas- Love your blog. I'm an American living in the UK and am also training for Loch Ness in a few weeks. It'll be my third mara over here. I've done one in England (Kent Coastal) and Wales (Snowdonia) so far. Hoping for a 3:35 or so in Scotland. Your post on the Connemara Ultra in April was fantastic, and after Loch Ness I'll make my decision as to whether I try a 39.5.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's all good news Thomas. Not long to go, and not long until a big PB. Be careful not to trip over something on those dark mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Thomas!

    Your decision not to push the last 7 even harder was definitely the wiser choice, not a bad excuse.

    And you must take Olga's advice, it works for Mike every time (hence his endorsement of this strategy)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I were running Loch Ness too! Looks like you will be race ready.

    I've had to use my headlamp on the last few morning runs as well. I guess it's that time of year when we wake up in the dark, go to work in the dark, and come home in the dark. Did I mention rain?

    Per your comments on my blog, yes I think I've recovered from the 100 miler. My biggest problem is getting motivated to set up a schedule of runs in the next few months. My next big goal will be WS100 if I get in. Won't know till December 1st when they have the lottery.

    Stay healthy and taper well!

    ReplyDelete