Thursday, September 06, 2007

Race Preview

I usually don’t spend too much time thinking about my non-marathon races. They are never the focus of my attention, and just there to ultimately support the marathon training. However, with the 10k in August cancelled, this will be my first race in 6 weeks, and the first race of more than 5k in over four months. That’s a long time without a proper race (both 5ks were more fun runs than races; neither had numbers for a start), and I’m itching to get out and feel the pain in my legs. I know I’ll feel differently at mile 10, when I’ll be desperate to stop, and if I’m not then I’m having a bad race. I do expect a PR (I’ll panic over my marathon if I don’t get one), and I have a certain time in mind that I’d really like to hit, but I won’t announce it in advance, so there won't be a need to wipe egg off my face afterwards. I have no real idea how fast I can run 13 miles. I have done very little running at sub-7 pace, but that’s a standard feature of my training. A week before the Bantry half-marathon I was wondering how I could possible run 6:50 pace for 90 minutes when I couldn’t keep that pace for half the distance in training, but race-day adrenaline is powerful stuff indeed and I’m banking on more of the same on Sunday.

There was still a strenuous workout to be done on Wednesday, the second part of my double header. The first part of which had gone well on Tuesday, but Wednesday was a much tougher proposition. The plan was 3 slow miles to warm up, 10 steady miles @ 8:00 pace and 7 @ 7:15. I have done almost all of the previous runs on a flat road, but yesterday I got more ambitions and ran around the lake; climbs, wildlife and all. I ran it clockwise because that way the worst of the hills would be behind me come mile 13 when the MP portion started. I promptly took a wrong turn at the start, realised my mistake 10 seconds later, swore loudly at myself and turned around. I guess it’s been a while since I ran that route, and at 5:20 am the brain wasn’t entirely conscious yet. The first 13 miles were unremarkable and I felt good; maybe a bit too good because I started to accelerate after 10 miles or so, which I shouldn’t have. When the fast segment started I soon came to the realisation that running MP over an undulating terrain is more difficult than doing so on the flat, and the fact that I had well over 1000 feet of elevation change in my legs from the first part of the run didn’t help either. I think I managed to stay on pace for the first half of that segment, but started to fall behind afterwards. When I reached our driveway after 17 miles I still had a 3 miles out-and-back segment to do, and with each step the legs grew ever more weary. The HR wasn’t particularly high, in the low 150s, if I remember correctly, but I didn’t have it in me to push any harder. I felt like I was running on muscle fibers that had never been used before, and that’s probably pretty close to the truth. It’s also the whole point of that workout. When I reached the turnaround point I could at least flick that little Devil off my shoulder that had been urging me to turn around prematurely for the last 10 minutes, but any hopes that the last mile would feel easier remained unfulfilled. I was completely knackered afterwards.

That leaves three more days until race day, and of course they will be easy days. Today was a much-needed recovery run, and I cut off one mile at the end, both in order to save the legs a little bit and to get a few minutes more sleep. The HR keeps going down and down on these runs; I've come to regard my recovery-run HR as the primary indicator of my fitness, and the signs have been improving steadily all summer.

Strictly speaking, my legs probably won’t have recovered entirely from Wednesday’s workout come Sunday. That’s the price I have to pay, but with three easy days until then I’m quietly confident I can run a good race.
5 Sep
20 miles, 2:37:59, 7:53 pace, HR 147
last 7 in 51:47 (7:23 pace)

6 Sep
9 miles, 1:16:13, 8:28 pace, HR 131

11 comments:

  1. I have no problems making time predictions ahead of time. If I am wrong, then I try to figure out why.

    Failing is not a bad thing, only quitting (unless not quitting is going to lead to injury or threatens your life, then it is okay).

    When I ran Boston this year, I had a 15 minute range of goals from sub-6:00 pace to PR. I was a couple of minutes behind my PR. The race was a failure, since I did not stick very well to my race plan and didn't adjust well to the weather (I overcompensated and expected worse), but it was still worth running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With regard to time predictions, I like Buster Mottram's response to a question regarding strategy and such: "Well, as long as I go as hard as I can, and run the best I can, I know I'll be competitive."

    So, run hard and run well. The rest will follow. Have a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, I usually don’t spend too much time thinking about my non-half or marathon races but the prediction is difficult for long distance runs. I always bet on a range of 5-8 minutes in the half and 15 minutes in the marathon.
    Are you ready for the great adventure? By tomorrow rugby every night!!!!!!! Come on Italia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you'll do great. make those legs feel the pain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Start at the front, have a great race and have fun. Can't wait to see how much you blow your PB away by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a good one, Thomas. I sense a PR in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, you train way too hard not to do well - barring unforseen circumstances, like an injury, I think you'll PR. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck on Sunday Thomas. I hope you feel fresh after a couple of easier days. I'll take a wild guess at 85:59.

    Good news about the shin splints, and the low HR on recovery runs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those races that lift you out of the humdrum of training! This sounds like one of them. Best of luck to you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will PR!

    Try tucking in behind someone of equal pace when you are feeling tired and draft for a while. It makes a big difference and allows you to recover a bit before making another push. I'm not sure if you have tried drafting before but I will do it at any roadrace. Some folks don't like you in that close and they will step aside or give you dirty looks. I'll sometimes have a runner bump me with their back kick and I'll say "I'm sorry, I was just using you, didn't mean to abuse you." That has a way of wearing out your welcome however and it's time to find a new draftee. It's best if the person is bigger than you, especially in a headwind.

    Have a great run! Can't wait to hear how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. have a great race thomas, good luck, your hard work will payoff!!

    ReplyDelete