Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Back to School

Niamh is a relieved woman, the kids are back in school. Lola and Shea are in first class, Cian is in preschool. She might actually be able to get some rest in the mornings, which would be welcome at week 31 of pregnancy, I guess.

I neglected to update you on my shin splints (yeah I know, as if you really wanted the details). I’ve been icing them several times a day last week, and I noted a definite improvement. Then I got lazy/I forgot, and they got more noticeable again, so I started icing again, noticed some further improvement, got lazy again and paid the price again. In short, it’s been a bit up and down, but that’s down to me being sloppy. On the whole I’m definitely on top of the issue and it will affect neither my race on Sunday nor the marathon four weeks later.

I took it easy again on Monday after Sunday’s faster workout, but the legs felt pretty fresh anyway. I was fighting the temptation to pick up the pace for the entire 10 miles and was a good boy for about 8 of them. Then I spotted another runner about a minute ahead of me (I even timed that on my watch), and most of the resolve went out of the window. I didn’t quite speed up as much as I could have, but went below 8:00 pace, which is definitely not recovery pace for me. I went past him on the last climb before home, and after exchanging a short greeting he was behind me. Maybe one day, when I’ve grown up, I might be able to hold myself back sufficiently, but clearly not yet. The HR was a bit higher than it would have been without that little private race, but it was still pretty low.

The main reason why I wanted to take it so easy on Monday despite feeling rather fresh was the fact that I’m planning another double-header for Tuesday/Wednesday. The first part of that consists of 10 miles, with 3 miles as a warm-up and 7 at marathon pace. I’ve run nearly all of the previous runs of that kind on the flat Ard-na-Sidhe road, but today the legs opted for the hillier and more scenic Caragh Lake route. I was already half a mile down the road before I realised that I was going into that direction, and I wasn’t going to turn around by then. It meant a few hills on the way during the marathon segment, but since the marathon itself won’t be flat either I reasoned that it would be a better choice anyway. I gradually increased the pace during the first 3 miles, and then went into MP mode. I actually surprised myself this time, because all of the miles splits were basically within 5 seconds of the target. Accurate pacing was always a weak spot of mine, but I guess I’m slowly able to tune into that effort, which bodes well for the marathon. I’m not quite there yet, though; I still have to concentrate to keep 7:15 pace going. As soon as the mind starts wandering, the legs will slow down. I’m hoping there will be others around me in Loch Ness going at my pace. That has never been a concern before, but as I’m slowly moving up the field, the numbers around me are thinning out. Looking at last year’s result, there was only 1 runner at 3:09, 4 at 3:10 and 5 at 3:11. I guess that should be sufficient to keep some company, assuming of course that that’s indeed the pace I can hold for 26 miles.
3 Sep
10 miles, 1:24:07, 8:24 pace, avg. HR 134

4 Sep
10 miles, 1:14:53, 7:29 pace, avg. HR 151
last 7 in 50:33 (7:13 pace)

10 comments:

  1. I always get sucked into chasing rabbits as well, no matter what the schedule says. No need to outgrow this, it keeps the competitive edge sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen, if I was running in beautiful beautiful Ireland, I would most certainly not resort to 11 miles on the dreadmill either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe one day, when I’ve grown up, I might be able to hold myself back sufficiently, but clearly not yet.

    The day you hold yourself back will be the day you stop running. The challenge of competing with a fellow runner, even in training, is a large part of why we run.

    Your comment on Marks Blog in relation to losing time in the first few miles of Dublin last year is very relevant to me. I got so upset with the slow pace over the first few miles (partly warming up and partly due to slower runners) that I ended up trying to conpensate from mile 5 to 9 and having never run a marathoin before, by mile 13 I was slowing down, mile 20 in pain, mile 24 "never running again just get me home".

    I did the complete opposite in Barcelona in March this year and set off at a conservative pace and gradually increased it to MP over 5 miles - no pain for 26.2 miles (a little fatigue from mile 24) A subtle but very important difference in what were and still are the worst and best runs I have ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should have referred to Mike's Blog as opposed to Mark's. It's cleary beyond my bedtime. See you sunday - I'll be wearing a red carnation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was passed by a man with a dog this morning!! They were doing sub 7 pace but there was no way I was going to be left in the dust. Got a good tempo run trying to keep up ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll find a crowd at the 3:10 pace until the last mile. Then you'll be with the one you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You never could resist another victim when you see one could you. Hope the shins don't deteriorate any. Don't get lazy with the icing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, have you done any toe lifts, sometimes that helps the shins. You know, lean back against a wall at a slant, then lift with your toes of like 2 sets of 10 reps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it's any help, single leg squats work for me to ward of shin splints. Now if I only could ward of this SFX in my toe...

    PS--

    Would you mind if I linked your blog on my running blog? I do enjoy reading yours, though I mostly lurk

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow in all my marathons I've never had to worry about not having anyone to run with!!! what a problem to have.Only in my dreams!!

    ReplyDelete