Thursday, April 05, 2007

Utterly Random Thoughts

I usually do a bit of analysing after each race, to see what went well and what didn't, but I can't think of much to say about Sunday's race, not least because I haven't got anything to compare it to. So spare me while I just type whatever comes into my mind.

I'm generally a slow starter but strong finisher, so I usually pass plenty of runners in the later stages of a race. I expected this to happen again, but no such luck. I overtook the last ultra runner around mile 14. Since we carry our numbers on the front, it's quite easy not to notice that you're passing a rival from your own race, unless you look at the colour of the number pinned to their front as you go past. However, as far as I know I didn't pass anyone in the last 25 miles, but was passed by 3 runners myself. Two I mentioned in my race report. The third one was no other than Aisling Coppinger, the winner of last year's women's race (she came second this time), and she went past me like a rocket at mile 35. Aisling, your pace was unworldly, and I profoundly apologize for completely forgetting about you in my original report.

I got quieter and quieter as the race went on. I had a sentence for every marathon runner I passed early on, and I had a bit of a chat with the ultra runner that went past me on mile 27. Later on I only had the energy for a 'hi' or something like that, and from mile 30 on even that was too much.

Unsurprisingly I felt like death on Monday, but recovered amazingly quickly. On Monday I winced in pain as I inadvertently stepped into a pothole that wasn't more than 1cm/half an inch deep. On Tuesday I was able to walk down a staircase without too much trouble. I did toy with the idea of going out for a run on Wednesday, but decided against it; I was still too stiff.

The weather for the race was incredible. Connemara is well known for its wind and rain, but we saw hardly a cloud on Sunday. They can run that race for another 100 years and might never again have as gorgeous a day as we had. The temperature was around 15C/60F, which isn't a lot really, but it sure felt hot to a runner who hasn't run in more than 7C/45F over the winter. I even got a slight sunburn on my shoulders, but compared to the pain in my quads it wasn't noticeable. In fact I didn't realise it until Niamh pointed it out to me the next day.

We drove the course from mile 10 to the finish on Monday, still in the same weather. That's when we took the photos. As we passed mile 10, Lola asked me to show her where the finish was. At mile 11 she shouted, "Daddy, you forgot to show me the finish!" She didn't quite believe me when I said that the race had been even longer than that. By the time we reached Maam's Cross she had long lost interest, but she did acknowledge that I had indeed run a very long race.

Will I do it again? Probably. Will I do it again next year? I haven't decided yet. I have one or two other ideas, and I will have to decide which one is the most appealing. No, don't ask yet. It's a secret.

I finally went out for a run today, Thursday. It was only 4 miles, and very, very slow ones at that. I felt ok yesterday, but running is still stiff and awkward. I can't remember the last time I ran as little as 4 miles, and therefore nearly missed my turnaround point. Running longer than that wouldn't have been the smartest thing today. The heart rate could have been worse, but it was over 10 beats higher than it would have been for such a slow run before Sunday's race.

I definitely want to run the half-marathon in Bantry, 5 weeks after the ultra. But first I must recover fully, and I can't tell yet how much time I will have left to train properly. I want to do well there and lower my PR if possible, but I will see how quickly I can bounce back first.

--- update ---

I checked my watch the next morning and realised that Thursday's run had only taken 37:15 rather 38:15. That brings the HR more into the expected range, though it is still elevated.

5 Apr: 4 miles, 37:15, 9:18 pace, avg. HR 144

10 comments:

  1. I'd say you are recovering quite nicely. I just got out for a run today too - no sore muscles, but a sore toe. I was surprised at how brown it is in the pictures, I guess I expected it to be "emerald green"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thomas, enjoy the recovery & the low miles. It's good you have something else to aim for only five weeks out. That should keep you focused and will have you back out there banking some larger numbers in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous photos! and i forgot to say, you irish have a way with naming things: Hell's Devil's Flaming Pot 'o Pain Hill; Don't Even Bother Trying to Run Up This Hill; Burning Mound of Cramps.

    What's up with that?!?!
    :)

    I'm with your daughter: I can't believe you ran that far, that fast either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to a blasting half-marathon, and wondering about your "other plans" for next year:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing photos Thomas thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely and inspiring views for running a marathon.

    Keep recovering but it seems like the only way for you is running, you are amazing!

    It is great to be able to tell you this many times, but YOU ARE AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Thomas, congratulations on a terrific ultramarathon debut! What a feeling of accomplishment it must be. And thanks for posting the pictures of the course - it was fun to re-read your race recap with the visuals to go along with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. belated congrats on your ultra. what next, what next?

    your fecking edjits comment had me in stitches btw. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos, what a nice course to run!
    I'm with you on the recovery time, it's kind of hard to know how long when you are new to the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Thomas, thanks for the mention, I'm only catching up on your posts! Your photos are great and the two people in your photos (wearing black and blue)on this blog post
    http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.com/2007/04/bounce-bounce-bounce.html
    are my running mates Liam and Gary! I've forwarded the link to them! Sounds like you're recovering well! Happy running!
    Aisling

    ReplyDelete