Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Like a Fish Out Of Water

If you ever wondered what I look like after running 39 miles, here’s your chance to find out. I used the broadband connection at work to dig through some more photos (beats working, believe me) and came up with a few hits, including that sequence from less than half a mile before the line. Why they positioned a photographer so close to the end yet have no shots of the actual finish line is beyond me.



The family is still in Valentia, and I’m commuting the 30 miles each way for today and tomorrow before coming back to Caragh Lake. It meant getting up reasonably early this morning, but not outrageously so. The runs are still short enough to be over quickly, allowing me to sleep until 6:30.

I ran slightly longer on Monday, and on a much hillier route than any other training run from the last few weeks. I have been cautious with hills recently because my hip is still feeling funny. It’s not really hurting, but something isn’t quite right. Also, the exact location of the discomfort seems to be shifting slightly every time I try to locate it. What’s certain is that sitting for hours in a chair seems to be the worst. I managed to run 39 miles without any real reaction, but give me 5 hours of sitting in the office chair and I’m shifting my weight every 30 seconds due to some pain that refuses to go away. Has anyone got an idea what it could be?

My pace is picking up gradually without me even trying. The 8 miles from Monday had be hanging on towards the last 2 miles, showing that I’ve still got some recovering to do. I’m still taking it easy, but I hope to be able to get some mileage done this week, and maybe a tempo run or two next week, to remind the legs what a faster pace feels like.

8 Apr: 5.7 miles, 46:10, 8:05 pace, avg. HR 151
9 Apr: 7.8 miles, 1:01:14, 7:51 pace, avg. HR 156
10 Apr: 5.7 miles, 46:45, 8:12 pace, avg. HR 151

9 comments:

  1. You look amazing! A walk in the park!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still passing runners at the end of the race. Don't remember that in the race report! Take it slow on the recovery. The old 1 day recovery per mile raced before your next race or hard workout is a very good adage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do look like you are pulling in the air in that last pic - probably turning it on to cross the line. Really, you look great for the end of 39 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude! Nice shades

    I know you don't want to but it might be a good time to get an MRI or bone scan on that hip just to make sure that a minor problem won't become a major problem.

    Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice race photos Thomas, sorry I thought your race was only 36 miles!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you do look fantastic! You look better than me at the START of a race!

    No idea about the hip. Does it help if you get up and walk every 1/2 hour or so? If it keeps up, I would definitely get it checked out.

    Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do look great considering the distance. These race photographers are tough to figure out. Some are great and get every shot and some just seem to miss so many shots.

    No idea about your soreness - hopefully some of the ultra runners can give you an idea of what might be going on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike, the other runners in those shots are half marathon runners (they had white bibs), in this case runners who took over 2:40 to finish a half. I didn't think that overtaking them was a particularly glorious achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thomas, you look fantastic in all those pictures and I agree with "susie", you look totally amazing at the end of 36+ miles!!
    Recover well, and you might want to get that hip checked out..to forestall future issues.
    Don't wait like I did..

    ReplyDelete