Sunday, April 15, 2007

Faster? Longer? Both!

After all those easy 5-mile recovery runs I couldn’t resist temptation any longer and upped the pace over the last few days. This isn’t with an eye to the half-marathon that is just 3 weeks away, I just got bored with easy running and wanted to feel a higher effort level in my legs.

I gradually increased the pace on Friday, but it still felt easy enough. In fact I was surprised to come home in less than 40 minutes. Truth to be told it might have been a tad shorter than 5 miles, but not by much. And then I certainly increased the pace (and effort) on Saturday. It was still only 5 miles, but noticeably faster. I was surprised how heavy the calved felt after 3 miles, especially on any incline, no matter how small. Having said that, I ran the second half of that run in 18:41(7:28 pace), and while it wasn’t quite a tempo run it was a lot faster than anything I’ve run in several weeks. I started to feel better towards the end, which gives me hope for the coming weeks.

Today I ventured out for double-digit mileage for the first time since the ultra. Of course I haven’t completely recovered yet, but I feel fine, and today’s run went very smoothly. After running the faster effort on Saturday coupled with 5 strenuous hours of gardening I expected it to be tough, but within half a mile the legs felt great and took off. I kept the effort in check, but a strong headwind made the outward section pretty hard work. I expected some assistance on the home leg, but somehow the wind managed to come pretty much from the front no matter which way I turned. At least the big black cloud that I had spied early on didn’t manage to catch up with me. The run seemed to get easier the longer it went on, and I was almost disappointed when I got home. I really enjoyed myself out there on the road. That must be a good sign. After all the training I did for the ultra I still can’t wait to get out again, each and every day.

Weekly mileage: 47 miles

13 Apr: 5 miles, 39:34, 7:54 pace, avg. HR 149
14 Apr: 5 miles, 38:24, 7:40 pace, avg. HR 156
15 Apr: 10 miles, 1:18:21. 7:50 pace, avg. HR 149

2 comments:

  1. Call me old-fashioned, but I honestly believe the "motivation factor" is probably the best indicator of recovery. If you're looking forward to running more miles, and you want to run them faster, you're obviously on the right track.

    I like seeing how quick your paces were over the last three runs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but somehow the wind managed to come pretty much from the front no matter which way I turned.

    I don't know how this always happens! hee hee. nice job on your runs!

    ReplyDelete