Thursday, April 19, 2007

Ouch

A few days ago, maybe Sunday or Monday, just as I was finishing my run I stepped on a stone outside our driveway and felt a very sharp pain in my right foot. Because I was just 20 seconds away from the end I didn’t think much of it, especially since the pain went away as soon as I stopped running.

I ran 10 miles on Wednesday, and all went very well, until 2.5 miles from the end. All of a sudden the pain in my foot was back, and I was in absolute agony. With each toe-off a sharp pain would shoot through my foot. I tried to adjust my stride, and to run mostly on the right instep, but that’s not really a good idea if you want to avoid follow-on injuries. I eventually got back home, and again the pain disappeared the second I stopped running. Walking was absolutely fine; it was only running that caused the problem. I did what most runners would do nowadays and googled the assorted wisdom of the Internet. From the symptoms I found the closest match would be Morton’s Neuroma, which I certainly can’t rule out. It could be caused by the shoes, I was wearing Nike 360’s for that 10-miler, and the toe-box in those is definitely tighter than in my beloved Asics Nimbus. But I have covered over 700 miles in two identical pairs of 360’s without troubles, and would be surprised if all of a sudden I’m struck with such an injury.

Actually there was a second problem with that run, namely my heart rate was much higher than expected. Sure, I ran at a decent clip, but at one stage I happened to glimpse the number in my HR monitor and was shocked to see it at nearly 160; the effort felt like 10 beats less. Each time I doubt my HR monitor I eventually come round to the idea that the reading was most likely correct, so I assumed that my heart rate was indeed pretty high, even though it didn’t feel like that.

The strange thing is that the run itself went very well. I covered the return leg in 37:42, which equates to 7:32 pace, despite being in agony for the second half of it, and without really pushing the pace.

The combination of yesterday’s problems caused me to opt for a short and slow recovery run today (yes, I know, I could have rested completely), in a different pair of shoes and at easy, easy, easy effort all the way. It worked, the heart rate was pretty low and the foot was absolutely fine, and now I’m unsure on how to proceed. I was planning a 12.5 miler on the Kerry Way tomorrow, which I most likely will still attempt, but if the foot problem strikes at the farthest point from home I’ll have to hobble for a very long way. On the other hand the softer surface of that dirt road should help me avoid any problems. At least that’s what I’m banking on.

18 Apr: 10 miles, 1:16:49, 7:40 pace, avg. HR 156
19 Apr: 6 miles, 52:16, 8:42 pace, avg. HR 144

8 comments:

  1. Glad the pain in your foot has stopped. You need your feet to be 100% Thomas! Amazing what a little rock can do..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Morton's neuroma so much that I host two of them, one on each foot. It's my understanding that it's cause is often more of a nerve impingement that develops over time rather than a blunt trauma, but if that stone was in just the right spot it's certainly possible. Usually the tell-tale sign is numbness extending towards the toes from where you feel the pain, which you didn't mention.

    If it is Morton's, you might try a metatarsal pad (you can buy one where you get your shoes I'm sure). If you stick it on the underside of your insole a little behind (more towards the heel) of where you're getting the pain, it takes the pressure off the impinged nerve as you roll onto the ball of your foot.

    Look on the bright side, now you have something in common with Paula Radcliffe (she had surgery to remove one).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes Thomas! I hope it was just a bit of a strain from landing on the rock. Let us know how it goes tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of blunt trauma causing a neuroma ... but it sounds like you've bruised something. Take it easy a couple of days, ice after each run and see what happens.

    Hope it gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is easier said that done, Thomas, but err on the side of caution. Take a few days off if need be to avoid having to be sidelined for any length of time. If I would take my own advice, I probably would be running strong right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Phil, I would like to think it's a bruise that you'll get pass soon and easy, with nothing long-term.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Thomas, Give it a bit of rest and see what happens. Frustrating eh not knowing for sure what the cause is. I'm still getting a numb foot after about 30 minutes running the cause of which I haven't figured out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just remember Thomas, there's no rest for the wicked!

    ReplyDelete