Saturday, April 07, 2007

Bounce Bounce Bounce

I can’t believe how well I’m feeling. Just six days after running 39.3 miles my quads seem absolutely fine, and there is just a little residue of soreness in my left calf. Apart from that I feel like I could run another marathon at short notice. I guess being well prepared pays off, big time. Keep that in mind for any running adventures you’re planning.

I’m back on the road regularly now, but all my runs are recovery runs, and no longer than 5 miles. I feel fine, but even so, it’s not even a week after my ultra, and there’s nothing to be gained from being too adventurous. I did basically the same run today and yesterday, my trusty 5-mile loop to Ard-na-Sidhe. My mind keeps going back to Connemara, and the legs do their own thing. They know that route so well they don’t need any input from the brain.

My feet are in sensational shape. No blisters, no black toenails, nothing; they’re pristine. I should frame those Asics Nimbus; they’re worth their weight in Gold. Instead I’ll most likely chuck them away like all their predecessors once their mileage is up.

The company that took the photos in Connemara are absolutely useless. Hardly any photos on ultra runners are available from their search, none came up for my bib number of course, and there are no finishing line pictures at all. How crap is that? It’s like they don’t want to make any business. Anyway, I used to work as a web developer for several years and still know a few things, so I managed to dig in manually, and came up with three photos of myself. None look particularly flattering (and in one I’m heel striking badly), but looking good is not the point of long distance running, is it?

We’re off to Valentia Island over the Easter weekend. The weather is stunning, not a cloud in the sky and it’s predicted to stay like that for several days. It makes up for the ruined Paddy’s Day celebrations I guess.

6 Apr: 5 miles, 43:02, 8:36 pace, avg. HR 149
7 Apr: 5 miles, 43:04, 8:36 pace, avg. HR 148

11 comments:

  1. You look great in the photos - not too tired, focused and moving. I'd say your training did pay off well - a good race and a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you look terrific! and who says looking good is not the point of distance running?!?! crazy talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures you took of Connemara are fantastic, I can’t believe the weather you experienced. Ally and I were out there a couple years ago and I don’t remember that much sunshine the entire time we were in Ireland. In fact while in Connemara, I remember having to pull the car over for a few minutes b/c it was raining so hard I couldn’t see where I was going.

    It ‘s sounds like you’re recovering well, enjoy the rest and easy miles (there well deserved).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being well prepared will defintely pay off with your recovery. We don't want you hurt so I am glad you are playing it safe and not being too risky like the Maniacs around here.

    On to the next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound like still on a high after that distance and with that recovery sounds like you won't leave it, great!
    I already printer you report for my husband and I read it again and again, you are not only a great runner but an excellent writer. I kept remembering about your report once and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thomas - you are a rock, what a way to bounce back after that ultra, 39.3 miles is unimaginable to me at this point. You are so lucky to be so painfree after that. I'm sorry to hear about the lack of photos, I agree that company must not be too interested in business to not even have captured anything at the finish line, how disgusting.
    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thomas - you're the man. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the photos. You look great and after all the crappy weather you train in, it looks like you had great weather for the race.

    You're recovery is coming along very nicely. You were so well prepared for this than I wouldn't be suprised if you could PR a marathon within a month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to see some photos of the race, and the trip around the course posted Thursday was fab. Glad to hear you are recovering quickly.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you had a nice Easter weekend.

    Great to hear you are back on the roads with no ill effects from the ultra.

    I must say that reading your report gave me a whole new perspective on ultras. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're right about the photos, found none of myself or my husband (except one very early one from the first few miles). I found a nice one of my water bottle with my flower on it which I would love to buy, but €30 for an e-mailed photo seems a bit steep! (and it's not even possible to cut and past the URL so I can't seem to even mail the link???)

    Anyway I hate to make any complaints about Connemara cos I think Ray is brilliant and genuinely trys to make the day great for everybody. There's no other event quite like it is there?

    ReplyDelete