Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Achoo!

The heavy legs that I had feared on Sunday arrived a day later. As soon as I headed out for Monday’s run, I felt like dragging a concrete weight behind me. Despite looking carefully I couldn’t find it, and just had to drag on. The second problem was that I generally didn’t feel too well. I had woken up with a sore throat and a general feeling of feebleness. The run went by, but the fatigue carried on through the day. I thought I had the beginnings of a cold, and it wasn’t until later on the evening that I realised that it’s the first of my two annual bouts of hay fever. I get that twice every year, once in April, and a second, worse, one in July. The timing is right, and the symptoms match. There isn’t much I can do about it; the only anti-histamine tablets that seem to have an effect are also making me drowsy, and that’s not an option during the day. Falling asleep in the office wouldn’t make a good impression, and doing the same on the commute doesn’t even bear thinking about.

However, I felt better today. While the hay fever symptoms are still there the heavy legs have gone and I managed 8 miles at a decent pace with 8x100 strides in-between. I’m quite pleased with the way my pace is developing again, even though the heart rate is still a few beats high. I’m almost half-way between the ultra and the half-marathon in Bantry, and I have high hopes for another PR. I did run that race last year, 5 weeks after running 26 miles in Connemara, and I felt just about recovered by the time I stood at the start line. This time I’m running it 5 weeks after running 39 miles in Connemara, and I’m actually hoping for a quicker recovery. We will see.

16 Apr: 6 miles, 49:08, 8:11 pace, avg. HR 148
17 Apr: 8 miles, 1:02:11, 7:46 pace, avg. HR 152, including 8x100 strides

4 comments:

  1. I wonder when you find a 100M near by...you know, to carry all that weight behind for a bit longer:) Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll be ready for a PR in 5 weeks. Look how low your HR is compared to last Marathon. You're recovery time is getting shorter and shorter and you ran 39 miles this time. Very impressive indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better.

    Check your previous post. Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allergies are such a pain!
    Sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes.
    I get mine in the fall so have awhile to go.
    Hope yours are short lived :)

    ReplyDelete