Thursday, April 12, 2007

Back to Life, Back to Reality

The long weekend is over, and I’m back in the work routine. The congratulations for the successful ultra have died down, people have stopped asking me how it went, and even the charity money has been collected in full. I guess it’s time to move on.

I originally planned to have a rest day at some stage this week. However, I never felt tired, and I just kept running every morning. Maybe I’m just addicted to running.

The pace for my runs keeps dropping to roughly the same level it was before the ultra. The last two runs were all at easy effort, and sure enough, they were at 8:00 pace. The one thing that’s not dropping is the heart rate, and it’s especially high on any climbs. It’s a daily reminder to take it easy, and even though I might feel recovered, there is still some repair work going on in my body.

Yesterday was my last run in Valentia, and I did the usual loop through the centre of the island. I ran it counter-clockwise, so that the last 2.5 miles would be flat to give me some room for strides. I managed 7 before I got close to home, and after the fourth one my left calf developed a twinge. It went away soon enough, but I think my left calf is the one muscle that needs the most recovery. It was the sorest one the day after the race.

Today I was back at Caragh Lake, and ran 8 miles alongside the lake. The scenery is just as beautiful as ever. In fact, it reminded me of Connemara. The eight miles flew by, and I still felt fresh towards the end. At mile 3 I got the same twinge in my left calf as yesterday, and again it went away after a few minutes. I’ll keep an eye on it, but I’m pretty sure it will go away all by itself.

I adjusted my chair in the office in the hope that a different seating position might have a positive effect on my hip. It’s too early to tell if it made any difference.

A new gym has opened in Killorglin, and my employer will pay half the fee for the first 3 months. I guess I’ll give that one a go. There are two other gyms, one is crap and the other one is for women only (discrimination!), which rather limits my choice. The new one looks nice though.

11 Apr: 5.7 miles, 45:43, 8:01 pace, avg. HR 152, including 7x100 strides
12 Apr: 8 miles, 1:02:48, 7:51 pace, avg. HR 152

8 comments:

  1. Doing awesome there! I hope the twinge and the hip thingy are nothing. And I don't remember if I commented on the pictures, but you look very focused and fast...and young too.
    Go with women's gym, could be fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to see your recovery is being maintained. It's been a while for me, and belated congrats for Connemara - long may it continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found Caragh Lake and Valentia Island on Google Earth. Both are in fairly high definition and look just wonderful places to run.

    Hope the hip settles down. Cod liver oil as a possible remedy ...? Yuk!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job there, it seems so easy and natural to keep all the way up, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the calves, Mystery Coach suggested standing in a cold water bath (not ice, just cold tap water, about 5-10C, for fifteen minutes once or twice a day). I fill up a narrow garbage bin knee high, which works well. I've had good results. It seems to help keep the twinges away and help healing.

    Good luck...stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So what's next on your running agenda?

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you just run marathon and ultra one after another you don't have that dissappointing period in between where the congratulations have gone and the schedule is empty. Keep the schedule full and the flames will just need a little air to keep them going rather than having to rebuild the fire all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Thomas,
    Except for the few minor things that you mention you seem to be recovering well. Watch the HR and make sure it keeps coming down as well.
    You do seem focused and strong in those photos. I too can't believe they would not photo and/or video the finish of your race.
    Keep moving forward....
    Randy

    ReplyDelete