Sunday, December 23, 2007

Looking Back and Ahead

Christmas is approaching at increasing speed, and I've got to hurry a bit. The most important news from a running point of view is that over the last three days my running has steadily improved with each day, and I'm feeling a lot better, too. I've still got a cough, but I think my energy levels are returning to their old level, and things are definitely on the up again.

Since I decided for this to be a recovery period, I cut Friday's long run down to 15 miles, which is even shorter than the death march I suffered through last Monday. I still gave myself the option of bailing out at any moment by running three out-and-back loops to Ard-na-Sidhe rather than looping around the entire lake. That precaution turned out to be unnecessary, I felt good all the way through, and I was heartened by the fact that each loop was faster than the previous one, without me pushing any harder. I still felt perfectly fine at the end, and I knew I could have run both faster and further, but was contend with the way it had been going.

Friday evening was my company's Christmas party, where I had a great time, despite virtually abstaining from alcohol, a very un-Irish concept. I left rather early though, around half past ten, which was already an hour past my usual bed time these days. As a result, I was well able to get in a quick run in the morning before we headed off for Dublin. Niamh was rather surprised when I told her I had only done 8 miles; she's quite aware that that's less than my usual mileage. It was also the first run this week under 8:00 pace, but I hadn't unduly pushed the pace. That's just the pace that came out of the effort, which was still reasonably easy. I added a few strides to the second half, but was quite surprised when that half was faster than the first one.

We managed the long drive to Dublin without any incident, which was helped by the fact that Maia slept for basically the entire journey – things could have been a lot worse otherwise. However, we all arrived in good spirits, and the kids are full of excitement at Santa's impending arrival.

It was still surprisingly dark at half past seven this morning, when I set off for my run. Shea had already been awake for a while, but by that time I had finally settled him back into his bed, reading a magazine, and with a breakfast in his belly. I headed off into a freezing cold Dublin morning. The sidewalks were covered with an icy sprinkling of frost, and you had to be very careful with your footing, but I felt just great. I ran on a bicycle path Nana had pointed out to me about two years ago, and which has since become my usual Dublin running route. It leads all the way to Ballybrack, and after 4.3 miles there is a dirt track to the right, and I figured one lap around the track together with the out-and-back journey should add up to exactly 9 miles. There were only a handful of people braving the temperatures, and again I had a very good run, and could feel that zap in the legs that has sorely been missing over the last few days.

I'm quite happy with the way this has been turning out. I'll keep my promise and will do reduced mileage this week, and then I'm hopefully ready to resume high mileage training again, but I'll make sure I'll slow down at least twice a week this time.

We're returning back to Kerry on the weekend, which is why I'll miss the New Year's 5k at Phoenix Park for the first time in three years. I like this race, it was always great to start the year with a new PR on the very first occasion. I'll get compensation on the 6th of January, when there is a 10 mile race in Mallow, County Cork. I'm assured of a PR of some kind, because for some bizarre reason I have never run a race over that distance before. I'd love to break 65 minutes over that distance this year. My last half marathon saw me going through 10 miles in about 67:30, and 65 minutes is a bit ambitious, but I'd like to think I have a chance. I'll have a second chance in March in Ballycotton, because while I haven't heard anything official yet, I have noticed that they have cashed my cheque, which I take as a sign that my entry has been accepted this year. My only other race before Connemara will probably be a 10k in Adare, which last year was one week after Ballycotton, and where I broke 40 minutes last year, something I'd love to repeat.
21 Dec
15 miles, 2:05:16, 8:21 pace, HR 139
22 Dec
8 miles, 1:03:11, 7:53 pace, HR 145
23 Dec
9 miles, 1:09:38, 7:44 pace, HR 147


Weekly Mileage: 81.25

4 comments:

  1. Hopefully i'll see you at Mallow on 6th. I've never done a 10 miles either - all tings being equal I am aiming for sub-68. All thing being unequal sub-70.

    Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you are bouncing back Thomas. A very Merry Christmas to your family, and especially to your lovely children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy holidays to you and yours Thomas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Holiday to you and your family Thomas.

    ReplyDelete