Thursday, December 20, 2007

As Slow As You Like

Every time I run I bring along a watch and my HRM, but usually I rarely check them. One exception is generally after the first mile when I have a peek to check my pace, which gives me a pretty good indication how the rest of the run will go. On Wednesday it read 8:35, which is the slowest opening mile for a very long time. Initially I started accelerating because I didn’t want to end up with such a slow average pace, but after a minute I finally came to the conclusion that I should start my recovery week right there and then, because I was really running myself into the ground, and over the last few days I had gotten slower each time. I’m still adamant that I never reached my tipping point, and I haven’t overtrained. Fact is, I have caught a cold, and while I don’t feel any effects while sitting in my office chair, or even while cycling to and from work, it does have an effect on my running. It’s a bit strange though, because the heart rate doesn’t seem to be affected, it’s just my legs that refuse to go any faster. For the rest of the run I was content with jogging along at snail’s pace, and even though I had the chance to go home after 5 miles I felt perfectly fine to continue with a second loop. The result of it all was the slowest run in ages, with my lowest heart rate ever.

With us being in Dublin next week, the recovery period will actually be in excess of 10 days rather than one week, but I’ve come to the conclusion that that will probably help me with the training rather than hinder. The race is still over 15 weeks away, and there will be more than enough time for some serious training, and by the looks of it I won’t need to drop my mileage by too much as long as I’m happy to just plod along. Andrew is barely moving on his easy days, and his race times are considerably better than mine, so what’s good enough for him should be good enough for me.

With that newly found peace I set off for a loop of the Kerry Way trail, the only real off-road alternative I’ve got without having to drive. I never run there when it has been raining because the surface tends to get rather treacherous, but a dry week has opened this possibility again, and I was looking forward to it. The climb up to the highest point is relentless, but I felt good, and since I wasn’t pushing the pace I managed it easily. I happily jogged my way along the side of the mountain, and came back on the Caragh Lake road, my usual haunt. A fairly strong headwind made the last few miles a bit more challenging than expected (usually the wind is on my back on that stretch), but again, with the slow pace I could handle it easily.

I finished yesterday and today both knowing that I could easily have run faster and further, but felt fine with my decision to scale back. I’ve still got that cold in my system, because there’s that very annoying cough from deep inside my lungs about once an hour, but as long as I’m no exerting myself unduly, I’m fine with it. By the time we’re back home from Dublin I expect to be healthy again, and ready to go.
19 Dec
10 miles, 1:31:27, 9:08 pace, HR 126
20 Dec
12.25 miles, 1:48:56, 8:53 pace, HR 137

8 comments:

  1. I also tend to consider a training run poor if the pace is less than normal.

    However we should remember that this is training and not racing. All programmes call for recovery runs at least twice a week which even for a 3-hour marathoner is 08:23 to 08:53 pace (McMillian).

    Ultras, in particular, are all about endurance first and pace later. So you shouldn't be beating yourself up so much. Enjoy the recovery week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you have plenty of time to take a down week (or 1 days) to just chill out, before cranking it up again for the race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry ... I meant 10 days. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do run those easy runs easy don't I? I envy your mileage and I'm on my way. Just taking a bit of time to avoid my usual winter fiasco.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing you can do but to take it easy if you have a cold Thomas. Lower HR runs will probably help you recover from it if anything. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little recovery period is probably just the ticket right now. Take it easy and come back even stronger, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thomas, although I'm way slower than you I always thought you ran your training runs too fast. I believe you don't have to run your race pace in training runs you'll just burn yourself out feeling like you are racing all the time. I believe thats what happen to me when I first started. the last 2 years my training runs got slower and slower but some how in races i managed to run 1 -2 mins faster than training runs depening on the distance. I always believed if I could run my training runs just a bit faster but not my race pace my race pace would be better. Well its finally happening and I hope to test my theory out soon, I'm looking forward to a great 2008.

    Have a great down time. Youre right it will help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi thomas i/ve been running and before that cycle racing for over 20 years,every time i get to december i tend to find it hard going training,maybe its the change to colder temps and the lack of sun light,but i never seem to have much energy and training i did in spring,summer and autumn seem impossible in december.
    nature tends to slow down in the winter to save its self for the spring,maybe we should do the same.
    i had my best year and marathon after a december of very low mileage after getting bad flu.so i reckon there is a lesson to be learned and maybe a couple of easy weeks in december will lead to a great build up and racing season the following year.
    happy chritmas and happy new year.

    ReplyDelete