Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Ho Ho Ho

Niamh and me had those two slightly contrasting conversations recently:

Scene 1: In the car, somewhere around Limerick, on the way to Dublin:
Niamh: (sounding slightly alarmed) Did you pack you runners?
Thomas: Of course I did
Niamh: Oh, thank God. It's my worst nightmare that we arrive in Dublin and you've forgotten your gear.
Thomas: YOUR worst nightmare?
Niamh: Yes, apart from the one where you get injured and can't run for weeks.

----

Scene 2: In Dublin, in our room
Niamh: (shaking her head disapprovingly) Did you really HAVE to bring 3 pairs of runners?
Thomas: (innocently) Two pairs for alternating days, and one for speed training.
Niamh: (shaking head in a resigned manner)
Thomas: Hey, I though I was being restrained for leaving the fourth pair at home.
Niamh: (shaking head even more)

----



I'll keep the running details to a minimum today. I did a bit over 8 very relaxed miles in Cabinteely Park, not far from here on Monday. The weather had been atrocious all night, but the rain had turned into a mere drizzle by 8 o'clock, and I headed out for a run after initially being resigned to a rest day. Today, in contrast, is a splendid day with hardly a cloud in the sky, and perfect for putting everyone into the right Christmas spirit. I went out for a run after the kids had unpacked their presents (at the second attempt. They originally tried at 1:46 am, but I sent them back to bed). I ran to a dirt track in Ballybrack, and ran one mile (4 laps plus 9 meters). I've never run a mile on a track, and this run was the reason I had brought my speed trainers. I haven't got access to a track in Kerry, and simply could not miss the opportunity, even though it neither fits into my base training phase nor into my recovery week program. I was hoping for sub-6:00, and the first lap saw me going through in 1:28, good. Lap 2, 3:00, exactly on time but slowing down, not so good. Lap 3, 4:30, still just on time. Lap 4, the legs are full of lactic acid and my throat not able to pass through sufficient amounts of oxygen, but remembering to concentrate on form and pushing hard, 5:58. Success, and I punched the air in mock triumph.

The kids are playing with their toys (I told you I got a bit carried away), they'll have new stuff lasting for the entire week, and are blissfully happy. I used to hate Christmas, with its emphasis on consumerism and pretend happiness, but the four little children in the house have enough excitement to spill over and reach even the cynical old adult in the corner.

Happy Christmas!
24 Dec
8.2 miles, 1:06:30, 8:06 pace, HR 146
25 Dec
12 miles, 1:31:44, 7:38 pace, HR 149
including 1 mile in 5:58

7 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Thomas, and good on ya' for running an actual mile on the track instead of a sissy-1600. If you didn't mention adding the extra 9 meters you surely would have been tripped up by an astute reader (I always am).

    Christmas is for the young, so why not spoil them a bit? Someone once told me that it takes so little (relatively speaking) to spoil them when they're 7 or under compared to later on, and after reading a story in our paper today where our local elite athletes (college basketball players) recounted their best Christmas gift I'm inclined to agree. Two of the three athletes quoted said that $20,000+ new cars were their best gifts. Mine was a green machine big wheel. Still miss that thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is something special about the mile even to us SLOW TWITCH MUSCLE FIBER TYPES. i remember once training for 4 months for the club mile race after i ran my first marathon.i ran 5.01 but the most frustrating thing was my friend i ran with up to the last 150m ran 4.50 ! i just didn't have the sprint in my legs to break into the magic sub 5 barrier.
    christmas is special for kids that is for sure,they are so indecent and have such great imagination.
    enjoy your holiday and hears looking to 2008 and a nice warm sunny spring !
    cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that should have read INNOCENT,to much red wine i fear.
    anyway i seem to have caught your cold now Thomas,am going to try for a long run today,but i'll have to see how the legs are as i felt rough yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 12 miles on Christmas? Good for you - I can't ever figure out how to sneak away for that long.

    Merry Christmas, Thomas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thomas,

    You were right about one thing. Your mile wasn't in a race. You'd knock 30 seconds off that mile time, no problem, in a race situation. Based on your 10k and half marathon times McMillan says you should do a 05:29 mile. Similarly I should have been capable of a 05:33 mile - I know I could have got closer than 05:40.

    See you in Mallow on Sunday week. Remember Mallow is a 10 miler and not a sprint. You should certainly get close to your 65 minute target.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A belated Merry Christmas Thomas!

    I enjoyed the pictures. Yes, having the little ones about for Christmas certainly does allow one to set the cynicism aside for a little bit.

    I noticed the Roald Dahl books - great choice. Our kids absolutely loved them - especially the BFG. Have you been to the Roald Dahl Museum and Story Centre?

    ReplyDelete