Friday, December 14, 2007

Make Mine a Sandwich

Just in case you’re wondering if the two easy days on Tuesday and Wednesday is a sign that I’ve become sensible, it’s not. I just wanted to make sure I would be somewhat fresh for the double-header I was planning for Thursday and Friday. When training for last year’s Connemara Ultra, I incorporated 3 weeks of 2 20 milers on consecutive days, and I think they did a great job boosting my endurance, which enabled me to have a great experience on my first, and so far only, ultra outing. I therefore decided to bring them back.

Amongst ultra runners, this kind of double workout is apparently called a sandwich, though it’s not one of the most palatable variety. I decided to ease into it by running only 17 miles on Thursday. Unfortunately, the wind has picked up again considerably, and while it was nowhere near as bad as last week, it was enough to send me back to the Devil’s Elbow loop with its vicious climb. I managed 2 loops well enough, but the driver who passed me shortly after the start, at around 4:30 am, probably thought he was hallucinating when the lonely figure of a runner in the dark came into view. As I’ve mentioned, the distance on that route is probably slightly longer than 17 miles, but again, it doesn’t matter; 17 miles is what I’m putting into the log. With an eye on the following day’s workout I wasn’t sure if I should run the last miles faster again, but decided to do it anyway, and ran the last 3 miles in 21:10 (7:03 pace), not my best, but not too bad either.

Compared to what I’ve been through recently, today’s weather was positively benign. Sure, the wind was still rather strong, but there was not a cloud in the sky as I left home, and only a handful would pass my way over the next hours, thus breaking the sequence of runs in the rain after 11 days. With the wind making the loop around Caragh Lake distinctly unappealing, I decided on 3 loops around the Devil’s Elbow, but running only the actual loop part, leaving out the out-and-back section to our house. One loop is slightly over 5.5 miles with a net elevation gain and subsequent drop of slightly less than 500 feet (I think), but with a few ups and downs to add to the fun. Running it that way meant encountering the climb every 5.5 miles rather than every 8.5 miles, which would add to the challenge. I usually try and run faster than 8 minutes per mile pace, but today’s objective was merely to survive the distance, and pace would be secondary. I therefore started rather slowly, as I wasn’t sure how the legs would hold up. I’m quite pleased about the fact that each loop ended up being faster than the previous one. The first climb was ok, but at the beginning of the second one my quads felt like they were about to lock up, but luckily that went away as I pushed on. I was a bit worried about the third loop, because that was the fifth time I had to climb up the side of that mounting in 24 hours (ok, 26), but surprised myself by managing alright. I just concentrated on the bit of road immediately in front of me and tried not to look up too far ahead, and eventually I reached the top, and the worst was behind me. I tried to run a bit faster on the final 3 miles, but the legs wouldn’t give me more than 7:43 pace. However, considering that this was my first double of that kind in almost a year, I was quite pleased. I checked last year’s log, and the pace for the second run was generally around 8:45. To manage this run 30 seconds per mile faster is a good sign. I don’t feel wiped out from the effort, but a certain amount of fatigue cannot be denied, and I took it rather easy on the cycle commute to work.

I’ve completely forgot to mention, I’ve signed up for two races last week. One is the Ballycotton 10 miler, which is one of the biggest annual running events in the Irish calendar, despite the fact the nobody outside Ireland has ever heard of it. Each year they have to cap the numbers of participants, and I didn’t get in last year. I’m hoping for better luck this time round. The second race, and the one I’m actually training for, is the Connemara Ultra. I decided against the Highway Fling (sorry, John), because not only is a weekend in Connemara much easier to sell to the family than one in Glasgow, I also don’t need a support crew in Connemara, and since I haven’t got one it makes things considerably easier. Besides, last year’s Connemara Ultra has been my favourite race of all times (at least so far), and I can’t wait to get back there. I thought I did pretty well last year, finishing 20th in 5:40, but I’ll try to better that by quite some margin. I think I should definitely be able to run the race at 8:00 pace average, and that’s my target: 5:15. Last year, that would have been 10th place (not that you get anything for finishing 10th).
13 Dec
17 miles, 2:12:30, 7:48 pace, HR 145
loop1 1:06:35, loop2 1:05:49, last 3 in 21:10 @ 7:03
14 Dec
20 miles, 2:44:22, 8:13 pace, HR 140
loop1 47:23, loop2 47:07, loop3 45:58, last 3 in 23:10 @ 7:43

6 comments:

  1. That's one hell of a sandwich.

    I signed up for Ballycotton this evening. I'm entitled to a late entry as I ran one of their five milers last summer. Hope you qualify. I won't be too dissappointed if I don't as apparently it can get quite congested on the narrow roads and Ballycotton is only one of 4 ten milers in Munster (starting with Mallow on 6th January)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty fast pace for back-to-back long runs. You're back in the saddle, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're killing me Thomas! Just piling the miles on like that is amazing. Are you searching to find your tipping point or are you simply addicted to running? I wish you good luck and hope the body holds up to the stress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done at with your sandwich, your consistency and dedication absolutely amazes me. That and having to training through the worst of the weather (not fun).

    A few years ago, I decided to run a few ultras. I can’t remember the exact format, and although I just scoured the house I can’t find my log either, regardless, I remember using a format that alternated long runs, something like this… back when I was incorporating sandwiches into my diet:

    Week #1: 90’ – 2h
    Week #1: 90’ – 2h
    Week #3: 2h – 1h
    Week #4: 2h – 2h30
    Week #5: 2h – 3
    Week #6: 2h – 1h
    Week #7: 3h – 2h
    Week #8: 3h30 – 2h30
    Week #9: 2h – 1h
    Week #10: 2h – 2h
    Week #11: 1h – 1h
    Week #12: race

    If I find my log I'll write what I did (if you're interested).

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you eat your sandwiches as fast as you run them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Running 8s for 39.3 miles would be a fantastic effort. Who cares if 10th place gets 'nothing'.

    Back to back 20-milers is some serious training!

    ReplyDelete