Monday, April 03, 2006

On the Road Again

After a full week of idleness, I finally ventured out on the road again on Sunday. It was funny, on Friday Niamh said “You haven’t been running all week, have you? That’s good.” On Saturday evening she said “I think you should go running again.” On Sunday morning, as I went into the kitchen and was just about to tell her that I was going running, she said before I could utter a word “How long are you running for?”. That woman can read me like a book.

Anyway, I had planned a five mile recovery run, but the calves felt very tight and stiff, so I decided to cut it short by a mile, and only did 4. I also thought that I ran nice, easy and very relaxed, but when I got back home I realised that I had run at sub 9:00 pace – too fast for a recovery run, especially after a marathon. I’ll do more recovery runs on Tuesday and Wednesday. After all the rain, wind and misery, all of a sudden the weather is absolutely gorgeous and far too inviting to stay in bed. As Shea keeps waking me at 5am every night, I can’t sleep in anyway. I’ll try to slow down though. I really need to be more disciplined when it comes to recovery pace, especially when I try to up my mileage to new levels.

After taking all the comments from my last entry into account, I’ve decided to follow the Pfitzinger 70 mpw plan. At least I'll try, and only once I feel fully recovered. Following the other Mike’s advice, I’m seriously considering raising the mileage very slowly and doing the 18 weeks schedule rather than the 24 weeks one, though I’m not sure if I should really listen to the advice of a man who publicly displays those kind of shorts! I’ll slowly up my mileage over the next few weeks, and according to how that feels, I will settle on a plan.

I’ve also signed up for a half marathon in 4 week’s time. The timing is rather unfortunate, just 5 weeks after the Connemara marathon and right at the start of a new training cycle, but it’s not far from home, and the scenery should be stunning – from Glengarriff to Bantry along Bantry Bay.


2 Apr: 4 easy miles, 35:52, 8:58 pace (too fast for a recovery run)

10 comments:

  1. will be interesting to see how the half goes after reaping the benefits of your marsathon training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha..the shorts are so funny....

    You gotta tell me where i can get a pair of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny shorts?! Hey, the Boston crowd needs to know where you're from. Thomas should look for something in green I think... Pfitz's plan is tough but fair and you'll get what you put into it. I tried the Furman plan for a bit a year ago but couldn't take all the non-running days! Good luck with it, we'll be watching closely ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be so interesting to follow you to this next marathon while training, it is great to be able to!

    How much did you enjoyed the run?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How is it I don't see a difference in those plans? And I agree on a shorts comment:)
    Take it easy for now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummm, shorts - I have a pair in the Irish Flag colours, and wore them in the LA Marathon a few years ago. I got a lot of cheers from the Mexican supporters :) -

    Would have loved to have done that Half down in Bantry Bay, but it clashes with Belfast for me. Once I am over my back to back May Marathons, I will seriously look at joining you in the Pfitz plan myself. I've been using a Bob Glover adapted plan for many years, but looking for that new step all the time - We never learn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, too fast for a recovery run. The Marathon needs his/her/its time....it doesn't have mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Increase your mileage by all means. If you have enough time before your next marathon, you'll see amazing results from the increased level of endurance. Looking forward to watching your progress in this next training cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool! I bet you'll blast the half. Looking forward to seeing how the plan works for you!

    ReplyDelete