Sunday, April 09, 2006

A bit sore

Yesterday was a day of cross training of some kind: several hors of working in the garden. After digging and pulling gorse as well as strimming rushes for nearly 4 hours, I was more tired that after a 20 miler. Let’s call it upper body strengthening, because my shoulders and arms are quite sore today.

So, when I went out for my 7 mile run this morning, I just couldn’t get relaxed. This might seem strange to a non-runner, but due to my sore shoulders I could not get into a relaxed stride. After one mile I decided to abandon any ideas of calling this stumble a recovery run and ran a bit faster. The main problem with running recovery run after recovery run is that they start to get really boring after a while. I really felt like speeding up, and when today’s loss of a relaxed form offered an excuse, I jumped on the chance to get in a “real” run. It probably wasn’t the best thing to do from a recovery point of view, but I’m glad I did it, because I really enjoyed today’s run. I didn’t get carried away and still kept my pace in check; it was just a bit faster than all the previous runs since the marathon.

I’ve got three weeks until the half, and I’m a bit unsure on what’s the best way to proceed from here. I need to increase my mileage, but should also try to get in one or two tempo runs to sharpen up a bit. I’ve no real idea on what’s the best way to do this without jeopardising my recovery. My guess is I might do about 30 miles next week, then maybe around 35 the following one, and 40, including the half, after that. I could also try to do a tempo run a week before the half. I don’t know if that’s sensible, I’ll adapt it if I feel a problem along the way.

I also need to buy a new pairs of shoes. If only I wasn’t broke already.

9 Apr: 7 miles, 1:01, 8:42 pace

11 comments:

  1. glad you had fun on the run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least I never get bored...

    The best part of this workout is that you are feeling fresh enough and strong to go further!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job on the run. I totally know the feeling of, well this might not be the best ideea but it sure does feel ok now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After all, there's no pint in running if you're not enjoying it! Sometimes what you feel has to take priority over what you "know" is the right training.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost know how you feel. It's only 3 weeks to my half as well and I'm really behind on my mileage. Life has just gotten the way too many times lately.

    But I bet we both have awesome races. Glad you had a good run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you need some tunes to get you going :) Just kidding... I'm also recovering...my toes are finally getting some feeling back after Connemara!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your plan sounds good to me...what do I know? Take it as it comes, while trying to follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant to say there's no POINT in running...

    There are plenty of pints, usually after the run is over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just read your marathon report and can really relate to your experience. Well done on pushing through the feelings of bailing out - that in itself is a victory!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your note!

    Buying new shoes as often as they are necessary is killing me! Ugh! Nice run!

    ReplyDelete
  11. After a marathon there are many doubts about the better way to recover. We are always in a terrible hurry to come back in the pre-marathon shape, but it is difficult. Listen at your body and yes, you did the right thing: a fun run!

    ReplyDelete