Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The First Day

It’s a great moment in every Big Boy’s life: the first school day.

I could not possibly miss Cian’s big event, so I went along to the school, and Niamh dropped me at work afterwards. It meant I had to run home in the evening because there was no way to put the bike into the car with all the kids in it. It wasn’t ideal because I had planned a speed workout for Tuesday, and I usually feel quite stiff the day after a double. I made very sure I ran very easily on both of Monday’s runs. Interestingly, the heart rate was the same for both runs, however, the evening one was a whopping 26 seconds per mile faster, despite the same very easy effort. I have noticed that same evening effect before, but not at such a margin. I’ll still be a morning runner, though. The practicalities of life do not leave me any other option.

I had made very sure that I would take it very easy on Sunday and Monday to feel ready for Tuesday’s mixed intervals. This was a completely new type of workout for me, and I had been intrigued as soon as I had read about it in the schedules, months ago. It will get tougher, but today it meant 3k at HMP, 1 mile at 10k pace, 1k at 5k pace and half a mile at 3k pace. With all the negative experiences at faster paces in the recent weeks I had already decided not to get too hung up with the actual paces; if I would hut something like 6:40 as HMP, 6:30 as 10k, 6:15 as 5k and 6:00 as 3k pace, I would be happy.

Alas, the workout was hindered by the truly appalling conditions. I had woken several times during the night when the howling wind threw some ferocious rain against our window. Of course I still went out running, but it had to be along the Ard-na-Sidhe road, where a few trees provide at least a minimum of shelter. The road is very uneven, with a bad road surface and a few ups and downs, but I have run mile repeats on it plenty of times before in previous training cycles. I followed the schedule to the letter and only did 1 mile of warm-up, which meant I was still not quite ready when the alarm for the HMP section came on. I was struggling over the first k or so, but settled eventually. The rest period between the faster runs lasted only 2 minutes, which brought bad memories of some botched mile repeats. I did not feel good over the first half of the 10k section, but then, out of nothing, things changed. Without any conscious input from myself I started to relax all of a sudden, and the workout, which had started to turn into a struggle, was transformed. All of a sudden I was able to run faster with less effort; I settled into a fast but somehow still relaxed pace, and felt pretty good about it. I tried to repeat the same fast-but-relaxed style over the final two segments, and more or less got it right. The constantly undulating road didn’t help, but I managed reasonably well. I more or less hit the times I had in mind, even if they don’t match the times in the schedule. I felt pretty good about the workout, and am already looking forward to next week’s second instalment. That has to be a good sign, as it stands in marked contrast to how I felt about the mile or 1k repeats. At the very least I should get some more enjoyment out of my training, which has been lacking at times this summer.

1 Sep
am: 9 miles, 1:19:54, 8:52 pace, HR 131
pm: 5 miles, 42:11, 8:26 pace, HR 131
2 Sep
7 miles, 52:57, 7:34 pace, HR 154
3k @ 6:42, 1m @ 6:28, 1k @ 6:14, 0.5m @ 6:02

6 comments:

  1. Nice job getting out there in the rain. And congrats to Cian for beginning school! Hope it went well for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing like the first day of school. Such exciting and nervous times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo of Cian's first day.

    Isn't it nice when, out of the blue, it all comes together? Well, I guess in your case itwas more like 'out of the grey.'

    It's been beautiful here lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulation to Cian. I had a new starter also - great excitement.

    Well done on beating the running deamons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice photo,must be a really proud DAD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First day of school is a landmark occasion. How come school starts in September (rather than February)?

    Regarding that HR reading... if only there were more afternoon races!

    ReplyDelete