Sunday, September 21, 2008

Stunned

The apocalypse is upon us. What was never supposed to happen, has happened. Doom and Gloom. Unbelievable. The sky is falling. Kerry have lost the All-Ireland Football Final. How could that possibly happen? Everyone around here knows that Kerry have a God-given right to win the Football Final. There will be repercussions. I bet the manager won’t be sleeping easily for a while.

Let’s concentrate on running, there is more fun to be had that way. Saturday was always going to be an easy run, after the very tough workouts on Thursday and Friday. I felt very stiff initially, but was surprised how quickly I managed to settle into some decent pace, and the miles passed by easily. I know that I tend to recover very quickly form the long runs, but this time I manage to surprise myself.

The one thing I haven’t done a lot is running at marathon pace, and I’ve started adding a few of those runs to my training recently. I decided to attempt that run again today. Two weeks ago I was happy enough to settle for 7:00 pace, but of course after last week’s race the expectations have changed, and I was aiming for 6:50. I managed just fine for the first half of the run, but started to struggle on the second half. Maybe I was asking too much from my legs, or maybe the fact that there was a 90 feet elevation gain over those miles had more impact than expected, but I wasn’t able to keep the pace going. I ended up running slower than on my last attempt, which is disappointing. I will probably try the same again next week and hope that by then the legs will have recovered from the race. That should give me a better view of where I’m standing right now.

This week has served more than one reminder why I hadn’t expected to run 1:25 in Blarney. My training paces never managed to emulate my race efforts, and the same is still holding true. It’s not for lack of trying, and it’s not for lack of confidence. I definitely expected better times before all of my workouts this week and ended up slightly disappointed each time. I guess there is just no replacement for race day adrenaline.
20 Sep
8 miles, 1:03:06, 7:52 pace, HR 140
21 Sep
12 miles, 1:25:41, 7:08 pace, HR 153
incl. 9 miles @ 6:59

Weekly mileage: 81

9 comments:

  1. My condolences!

    Your recovery is certainly very good. That was a strong run today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a recover week after the half, I'd say you did well.

    Nice weekly mileage at some nice paces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated congratulations on your PR at the half.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 81 mile week... very sweet! And I don't know how long you've had up that picture in your banners, but that's a great photo. Just now really took a good look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your legs are recovering from a hard race and you can't expect miracles every day. You'll be fine in Dublin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry to hear about the loss

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's always another season.

    Yes, races are always faster. I guess marathon pace though should be doable, but maybe not uphill!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Thomas,

    Thanks. I figure the half will be a good practice for my race rountine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, I hate when people read my blog and dont tell me - so I thought I would introduce myself... I am a Nova Scotian living overseas in Honduras, and I love to read your blog. I even linked it to my blog. I just started running for the first time in my middle aged life and was training to run a half marathon in California with a friend but we moved for my husbands job and so now I cant run here because it is not safe or cultural... but I hope to start up again as soon as I get home.

    Sonya

    ReplyDelete