Friday, September 19, 2008

Recovery? What Recovery?

I have one last note about the Blarney half marathon. There is a series of videos on YouTube, apparently taken around the 12-mile mark, though I think it was closer to the end. This particular video features both Grellan and me. Grellan is the runner in white singlet and black headband, 3:00 into the video. I’m the idiot in the dark outfit (not the purple one, two runners later) who’s checking his watch not just once but twice, almost a minute later.



Am I just paranoid, or is there something odd about my running style?

After 9 easy miles on Wednesday, I had another pair of cruise intervals on schedule. I wondered if it was wise to run at HMP yet again, 4 days after the race, but went ahead anyway. I was quite confident I’d be able to run at 6:30 pace, after all I have proven conclusively that this is my true race pace for that distance. It was quite surprised when it turned out that my HMP training speed was essentially the same as last week. It wasn’t because I was not working as hard as on Sunday; my heart rate during the intervals was actually higher than the average HR from the race. Maybe the fact that I was wearing my normal trainers rather than my racing shoes is a factor? They are 3.5 ounces each heavier, which allegedly means a slowdown of 7 seconds per mile, which would account for at least some of the discrepancy. That of course begs the question if I should wear my racing shoes for those workouts. I haven’t worn them at all outside of racing. My was worried about my PF, because the pain always seemed to flare up in the days after a race. Now that there seems to be an improvement I might be able to get away with wearing them more often.

If you’re reading this blog on a regular basis you know that I always do my long runs on the day immediately following a tempo run, and this week was no exception. I decide to run 22 miles, the longest run of the present training cycle so far. In the past weeks and months the long runs have always served as a great confidence booster. Even if my speedier workouts were below par, I could always take heart from how well the long runs went. I was therefore quite confident about today’s run.

Things didn’t quite work out to plan. I felt slow and sluggish from the word go. When I checked the watch at mile3, my pace was slower than 8:20, even though it definitely felt faster than that to me. I also noticed that I started to check the distance on the Garmin every 30 seconds or so, barely 4 miles into the run. That is a seriously bad sign, and the first thing I did was to turn off the backlight of said device. It was almost pitch dark, more than two hours before sunrise and with the moon hiding behind the clouds. I could make out the road but not much else, and this meant I could no longer see the figures on the watch. This worked, I eventually managed to tune into the run, but it never felt particularly smooth. I got back to our driveway at the halfway mark, had some water, and decided to run the same loop for a second time. I had toyed with the idea of running a couple of shorter loops, but deliberately went back towards Cromane, to make sure that I would not be able to bail out early. This was probably a good idea, because around mile 18 or 19 I had a rather bad low and felt like dying on my feet. However, I managed to pull through that and even had a decent finish.

With the heavy legs I was never even remotely tempted to speed up towards MP, and boy was I glad when I got home. I was almost crawling into the kitchen, and could only mumble “this better be worth it in the end” when Niamh enquired about my run. Cycling to and from work did not come easy today. But it felt very satisfying to note a big fat 22 into the log.
17 Sep
9 miles, 1:10:42, 7:51 pace, HR 140
18 Sep
12 miles, 1:25:53, 7:09 pace, HR 159
incl. 2x4 miles @ 6:40, 6:44
19 Sep
22 miles, 2:54:56, 7:57 pace, HR 144
first half @ 8:03, second half @ 7:50

10 comments:

  1. I know if I run a 1/2 marathon very hard it can take a good week to recover! its normal to feel heavy legged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are the subtitles for the Irish accents? ;)

    Regarding your running style - it's very similar to a mate of mine who's a very accomplished ultra runner (24hr type of stuff). Fast turnover (which is good) but not a lot of what some call "knee drive", but I call "power off the ground".

    Lydiard's bounding and hill springing drills (and other dynamic drills) would give you a longer stride. Not sure how short your intervals are, but 150m intervals run with good form (not using maximum turnover for speed), would also help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have a video cam or can get hold of one, get a willing family member or friend to video you side on, head on, at different speeds, its great to see any defects in your style you need to iron out. Or you could have a wife like mine who will happily shout " your running style looks too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Style? I would say it's working for you. I mean, look at Paula's (Radcliff)head bob.

    So, how many runners were hit by cars? Looks like the first runner in the video almost bought it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good effort on the long run. Those are difficult at the best of times and with coming off a great half is bound to be even tougher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paranoid. How do you get a 22 miler in before work (and then cycle to work) My longest prework run has been 12.5 mles - an some of those were in my sleep. Very good recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your stride does look a bit short to me, but that certainly works for many runners. By7 seems to agonize over stride length and rate as it pertains to his marathon goal pace, but I lack the willingness and attention span to go to such lengths (no pun intended).

    I think a more compact stride really necessitates a bit of a shift forward in posture though (to really grab the road quickly and propel yourself forward), but it seems like you're pretty far back on your heels when you land. Maybe more of Fitzgerald's "falling forward" proprioceptive cues?

    Also, we're going to have to wrestle that watch off your wrist one of these days for these races if "suffering as much as possible" is the goal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really cool ... there're sure a lot of fast runners out there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree with Marc - that looks seriously dangerous with all the cars! I guess I'm just used to closed courses, or park races!

    Great time on your half. I can't beleive how much you've improved since I started reading your blog years ago. You're a real inspiration. Is your gait always like that? Or was it off because you were glancing at your watch?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found myself on the blarney marathon 8 on you tube - It is about mile 12 alright - I passed about 5 of the people in front of me on the clip. I pass at around 4:40 and I have a terrible arm swing as well. I was carrying a bottle of accelerade but I look like I'm having a bit of a fit!

    ReplyDelete