Sunday, September 28, 2008

Not so Good

With 4 weeks to go, I’m in the last stages of heavy training for Dublin. I’ve still got one race to go, next week, and after that the taper awaits. I’m in two minds about that. On one hand, I can’t wait to get to Dublin and put into practice what I have been training for all those months. On the other hand, I wish I could come up with some magic formula that would hand me the 5-10 seconds per mile improvement that I would need to break 3 hours. Alas, no such formula exists. Now I’m unsure if I should accept that the 3 hours might be just outside my grasp this time round, or if that is merely a defeatist, self-fulfilling attitude. One thing is pretty clear; if I don’t expect to break 3 hours, I won’t manage it. The mindset would be all wrong.

After Thursday’s and Friday’s hefty dose of back-to-back workouts I was in dire need of some rest and recovery. Alas, neither was to be had in the required amounts, and I only have myself to blame. I spent all of Friday evening trying to add a few video clips of Maia into one sequence, and since this was the first time I had been doing anything like that it took much longer than it should have. It was well past midnight when I finally made it to bed, and with Maia waking screaming well before 7 am, I did not get much sleep.

Saturday’s run was strange too, but this time it wasn’t my fault for a change. I went for 8 miles along Caragh Lake, 4 miles out and 4 miles back. To my surprise I passed not just one but two crews of workers on my way out, and by the time I was on the way home they had started re-surfacing the road, and I could not pass. At least there was an alternative route back home, but that meant crossing the saddle between Seefin Mountain and the Water Witch, and a 300 feet climb within a mile was not exactly what I’d had in mind on my recovery day. It was my only option of getting home, though, short of a swim across the lake in my running gear.

I went to bed 2 hours earlier last night, but with Maia waking before 6am I still didn’t get the right amount of sleep. After a bottle, some cuddles and a nappy change I brought her into our bed, where she promptly fell asleep again. Alas, no such luck for me. After staring at the ceiling for a long time the boys eventually woke, and after their breakfast Niamh got up herself, and I got ready to go out.

As I was putting the Garmin on my wrist, Niamh, out of the blue, commented “Are you running half-marathon pace today?” I was stunned. “How did you know that?” “You have the look in your face of somebody who is about to be tortured!” Up to now I had assumed she had never even heard the term “half-marathon pace”, but I was wrong, obviously.

Well, the plan was indeed 2x4.25 miles at HMP, with half a mile recovery in the middle. I had tried to come up with an alternative route that would not feature all those hills on my way to Cromane, but failed. The road is very similar to the second half of the Bantry half marathon. No big hills but steadily up and down, and all the climbs are longer than you’d wish. I didn’t feel too good from the start. I’ve obviously not completely recovered from the rather strenuous double header, and yesterday’s unexpected mountain stage didn’t help either. I managed to somehow resemble half-marathon pace on the first interval with an average pace of 6:42 and avg/max heart rates of 165 and 171 respectively. Things fell apart completely on the way home, though. It wasn’t for lack of trying, but initially I could not even get under 7:00 pace. Salvation of some kind came in the form of two dogs who started chasing me a mile into that effort. I managed to shake them, and all of my sudden my heart rate was in the correct zone and my speed had increased. But I was still struggling to get under 6:45, and when the hills started again on the last mile I was at the end of my strength, underlined by the fact that I was wheezing badly. That’s something I always do once I pass a certain threshold, and I’m wondering if I’ve got a mild form of exercise-induced asthma. It doesn’t really bother me though; I still manage to get sufficient amounts of oxygen, even though it might not sound like that. Anyway, I seriously contemplated calling it quits a mile early, but I knew that if I kept going the torture would be over within 7 minutes. If I dropped out, on the other hand, I’d hate myself for the rest of the day. So on I went, but the shocking truth is that I didn’t even manage marathon pace over those miles, never mind HMP. The heart rates were almost identical to the first interval (164 avg/171 max), but the pace was 12 seconds per mile slower.

Numbers don’t lie. I did ask too much from myself today, and I’m obviously not getting enough recovery between workouts. There’s no need to comment any further on that. Next week will be slightly lighter with the race in mind, and then we’re entering taper time. That’s probably a good thing, because I might be tempted to overdo things even more otherwise.

I hesitated to embed my video from Friday night because it’s probably mind-bogglingly boring to anyone but family, but I’d probably get requests anyway if I didn’t post it. Watch it if you want, but don’t complain if it won’t provide the 4 most riveting moment of your life.


27 Sep
8 miles, 1:03:40, 7:57 pace, HR 143
28 Sep
13 miles, 1:35:30, 7:20 pace, HR 155
2 x 4.25 miles @ 6:42 (HR 165/171) and 6:54 (HR 164/171)

Weekly mileage: 75

11 comments:

  1. The video was great! You have adorable children.
    Running a sub-3 is well within your realm. Relax, you have trained well and race day will be what it will be. Trying to replicate race conditions outside of a race is difficult and those few seconds you need will happen when you actually "toe the line". Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having tried some of the tempo sessions I agree that its very hard to run at the right pace and if your tired then its even harder to run fast enough, but remember this is only training, on race day you will be really fresh, buzzing with adrenaline and highly motivated!
    Its amazing how you can lift your self to a new level under such conditions.
    Having said that I'd like to be able to tell you that breaking 3 hour will be easy, but the truth is its going to be bloody hard, but you have a lot going for you, you have the right body build for a marathon runner, you ran the second half of your last marathon very strongly and you don;t seem to slow down in the last 6 miles of the marathon!
    If you go into the 15 miler fresh it will give you a good indication of what pace to go for in the marathon, if your going to break 3 hours then 6.50 pace should feel like cruising in the 15 miler. good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas, I agree - if the mindset is not right we've failed before we start.

    That 2 x 4.25 miles on that undulating course is hell especially if you are not rested beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Blarney half was a tough course so you are well on to break 3 hours over the easier Dublin course, plus you will have peaked for that one. Think positive and it will come off, as for Cork to
    Cobh you should aim for 6-40 pace as its a very easy course, you should finish well at that pace and your confidence will be sky-high for Dublin, you have most of the hard work done so Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I THINK YOU HAVE DISCOVERED THE SECRET TO TRAINING FASTER! NEXT TIME YOU PLAN A FAST RUN THOMAS, APPLY LIBERAL AMOUNTS OF PEDIGREE CHUM TO YOUR RUNNING KIT INC SHOES, THE DOGS FOR MILES AROUND WILL BY CHASING YOU, WHICH SHOULD BE WORTH AT LEAST 30 SEC A MILE OFF YOUR AVERAGE PACE. IN NO TIME AT ALL YOUR BE RUNNING 2.45 MARATHONS! just REMEMBER NOT TO FALL OVER OR YOU MIGHT BECOME A DOGS DINNER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our better half's are very astute at our subtle signals. There is no hiding the after effects of a hard run in our house either. And try to rest so you have fresh legs next weekend as well. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look to be in prime shape for Dublin. Very cool.

    Cute kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great video - didn't even need subtitles ;) Maia is a natural in front of the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweetheart!

    300' in one mile? OUCH! Did you have to rappel down the other side?

    You've got the physical part down, the next 4 weeks will give you the mental part - the mindset.

    Exercise-induced asthma. I too have a mild form that is more pronounced in late fall and winter. Nothing that a puff of albuterol won't take care of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your detour sounds like something that would be included in an outing to the mountains here in the Pacific Northwest. I think you're right about it not being what you ordered up for a recovery run. Keep the sub-3 mindset and your training will get you there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the video! She is so sweet, and so are her big brothers.

    A sub-three would be amazing. I can't wait to see if you do it!

    ReplyDelete