Sunday, February 03, 2008

Strange Readings

I know I promised not to post any charts, but I think this is a bit extraordinary. Can anyone with some physiological understanding explain to me just what happened during the first 7-or-so minutes of Friday’s workout? That heart rate is just insane, and it’s not like I was sprinting up a hill, I was running along relaxed and easily. There’s a drop and then a climb out of our house (the pace chart pretty much conforms to the elevation of the road), but we’re not talking real hills there. The drop is about 35 feet and the subsequent climb about 70 feet and neither is very steep. And the heart rate remained elevated for a few further minutes on relatively flat road, until it suddenly dropped from the 170s into the 140s. I know that the aerobic system takes a few minutes to kick in, is that what happened? Is my anaerobic system shot to shreds while my aerobic engine in relatively decent condition? Any answers are appreciated.

I did those 5 miles on Friday, and remained relaxed and easy until about 1.5 miles before the end when the weather gods sent hail and sleet along my way, and I accelerated a bit to get out of that. Of course the spook had stopped by the time I was back home. The weather forecast for Saturday had predicted a reasonably dry start and rain for the rest of the day, so I set out early while I was still allowed outside. I extended my run from 5 miles to 7, partly because I’m feeling a bit better each day, and partly because I was itching to get a reading of the Caragh Lake road on my new Garmin toy. I had been smug how accurate my distances on the Ard-na-Sidhe road had been, unfortunately the readings on the Caragh Lake road didn’t quite follow. The first 3 miles turned out to be longer than I had always assumed, and if you want to add 10 seconds per mile for each past workout along that route, you can do so. Interestingly, I clawed back some of the inaccuracies on the next half mile, which is where I turned around, but I assume that the 5 mile point, to where I tended to go for my numerous 10 mile runs, is a bit further out than previously thought. I’ll check that out once I’m off the restraint. And I’ll try not to worry about the fact that the Caragh Lake loop might be half a mile shorter. Whatever the case may be, at least my race times in the sidebar won’t be affected.

The weather forecast for Sunday had been rain, rain and more rain, and I fully expected an enforced rest day (the gym is closed on Sundays). This was indeed confirmed when I looked out of the window first thing in the morning, and I eventually got into the shower. However, then the rain stopped and the sky looked reasonably bright towards the west, and I said to Niamh “I know it’s stupid because I just had a shower, but I’ll go for a short run”. “You’ve said it yourself”. I headed out for 5 miles to Ard-na-Sidhe again, making sure to take it exceptionally easy for the first few minutes to avoid a heart rate disaster like on Friday, and managed indeed to get back home before the rain restarted for good.

At some stage they will have to allow me to run in the rain again. I just don’t know when yet. I guess the next chest x-ray will give us some clues.

1 Feb
5 miles, 43:52, 8:46 pace, HR156
2 Feb
7 miles, 1:01:02, 8:43 pace, HR 156
3 Feb
5 miles, 42:25, 8:29 pace, HR 155

15 comments:

  1. Maybe a malfunction of the HR monitor from not having good contact?

    Speaking for myself, don't apologize about posting charts. I like the visualization. Good to see you rebounding. Hope you continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries about the HR, Thomas. That is a known issue with the Garmin. Mine spikes up to 180-200 for the first mile or so of most runs. The only time I see it is in the first 10 minutes of a run, and then it goes back to being accurate.

    The problem seems to be related to temperature, because when I run on the treadmill, it doesn't happen. However, if I run outside, it happens nearly every day.

    I was also worried that it was a physiologic effect, but then checked my HR manually half a dozen times on a couple of runs. When the monitor was showing 170, I would be manually counting 12-13 beats in six seconds (120-130HR).

    Garmin recommends changing the battery in the strap if the HRM becomes inaccurate. I've done this and it made no difference. Some people have sent the strap in for replacement, so that is an option.

    I had my 305 for a good long time before I noticed this 'problem', so it could be a defective strap. ??

    I like the charts as well. Pictures are good. Words are hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always make sure you moisten the contacts on the back of the heart rate strap. I use unfortunately (spit), some use soap and water, and I think there are several products on the market that you can buy (KY jelly!). Once you have started sweating after a short while you can see the trace improves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thomas you could check your HR on the Garmin before you set off and see if it is abnormally high. If so you could check it manually to get an idea of the starting error. I don't have a garmin but sometimes my HRM does not register for the first half mile, until I build up a bit of a sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thomas - perhaps the garmin is picking up the HR's of aliens in passing UFO's as the signals return from the satellites. I would guess that it takes the UFO about 7-10 minutes to pass the three satellites you are triangulating from, depending on the model of said space craft.

    This would also explain why Eric's does the same thing outside, but not inside on the treadmill.

    In any case - Don't Panic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marc gives good advice there Thomas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thomas,
    My Garmin is the 205, no HR monitor. Instead, I have a Polar HR monitor - and mine does the exact same thing for the first 10 minutes or so. It doesn't do it in the summer or on warmer spring/fall days, but does it everytime it is cold. I don't know why - maybe in addition to having good contact, the skin has to be warm. Anyway, now you know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Thomas,

    How's it going? I heard from Edward the other month via LinkedIn. Marathon running and another kid, wow. I've just done the 150 km bike ride around Taranaki and will do my first half marathon around the Auckland waterfront at the beginning of next month. Kids look cute, must be from Niamh's side :-)

    Give our regards to Niamh.

    Mark (....and Debs now in NZ)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eric's onto it Thomas. I know a bloke down here who has a 305 and it does the exactly same thing. On the other hand, if it's a 'contact' issue, Polar sells something, I think called "conductive gel" which you can use on the strap.

    If I upgrade my Garmin, think I'll stick to the non-HR model and continue to use the Polar for HR data.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to give a try to the gel or k-y or something like that. I've used spit the last two days (outside runs) and haven't had the HR spikes.

    I've never considered the problem being one of poor contact because I always get a reading within seconds of putting it on. I guess I assumed getting a reading meant good contact. It might be that when you start moving, that contact isn't good enough.

    Anyway, this is worth a try, because the alternative is space aliens, and I can't handle that on a Monday. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would go with Jamie on bad contact, but I thought (experienced) when it's the case, the numbers are rather low...
    Glad you're out of pneumonia, the co-workers cracked me up:) And happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the others have nailed it. From reading your post, I get the idea you felt fine during that first 7 minutes, and were surprised by this chart. If your HR was that high, you would know it. When my battery is about to die, I sometimes get goofy readings like this.

    BTW, why the promise for no charts? I heart charts :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Thomas, I've had a 305 for about 4 months now and the only time I've ever had this problem is when I put it on with out wetting it first. I usually run the two contacts under the faucet for a second before putting it on and I have never had a problem that way.

    If the strap is dry it definitely misreads heart rate on the high side.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thomas,

    I went away from your blog a bit and now i see u got a new toy and charts :)

    In my preivous HRM, i have the same issue. First 5 min, my HR will go all crazy then it will settle down.

    My morning routine includes a shower as well. And I know it doesn't make sense when I will be going for a run or bike ride after.

    ReplyDelete