Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Slow Improvements

Thank you everyone who took the time to comment on my strange HR readings, this is really appreciated. You know, the thought of a malfunctioning HRM didn’t even cross my mind. I’ve had a Polar HRM for almost 3 years, and have come to completely trust its readings. I’ve obviously transferred the same trust to the Garmin HRM, which isn’t quite as justified. That toy is brand new, I really don’t think an empty battery is the problem. As for things like wetting the contacts, I always do that anyway; I might try some contact gel as well. Having said all that, the last 2 workouts didn’t repeat the same strange readings. Maybe the aliens in their passing UFOs were still asleep.

Update: Today, after half a mile, I stopped for a moment to redo my strap that felt like slipping off my chest. And guess what? The HRM chart is showing a big spike for those few seconds. It really looks like a bad contact is causing those high readings.

On Monday I had the same conversation twice in the office: “Good morning, Thomas, how are you feeling today?” “Thanks, much better” “Good, because you looked absolutely horrible last week.” (!!!) The second person wasn’t quite as blunt, but the message was the same. Maybe they should have said something last week when I was apparently as pale as a sheet of paper, because I had felt reasonably ok.

I had hoped to run slightly longer than 5 miles either yesterday or today, but it never happened. I deliberately didn’t set the alarm, just got up whenever I woke up, which always seems to happen at 6:20 these days. Both times it took longer than usual to get out of the door. Yesterday I had to make Shea some breakfast, today I waited until that rain shower had passed. It still looked a bit dodgy towards the West, so for the first time ever I wore that rain poncho that I had gotten as a freebie from M&B a few months ago. It looks like a garbage bag with holes, but I was surprised how well it worked. Other waterproofs always left me feeling much too hot, it was like I was steaming in my own sauna, but that sleeveless poncho worked much better. The only drawback is that due to its, well, generous proportions it blows up like a balloon in the wind. Originally the hood kept coming off my head, but then I had a brainwave and used my headlamp on top of the hood to keep it in place. It did start raining again while I was out there on the course, and I expected Niamh to scald me for running in wet conditions against the doctor's orders, but she didn’t seem to mind.

The weather is supposed to improve for the next few days, and I’m keen to add a few miles to my runs. I’ll start leaving out my running gear in the evening to shorten the time it takes to get ready in the morning, and if that’s not sufficient preparation to get more miles I’ll have to give in and start setting my alarm clock again. I just prefer to wake up naturally, but at least I won’t be forced to get up at 4 o’clock in the morning any more.

4 Feb
5 miles, 41:32, 8:18 pace, HR 161
5 Feb
5 miles, 42:25, 8:29 pace, HR 155

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for keeping it light and easy, don't rush back... and all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment about your strap also reminded me - I had to get a smaller strap - the one that came with it a medium, I went to a small. (That again, is on the Polar - don't know if Garmin has different size straps).

    Sounds like you are bouncing back! Good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good to hear you got the hr strap nailed down. i was going to comment that i used to see the same sort of thing for the first mile of quite a few of my runs. i think it's just the skin warming up and the contacts settling in.

    stay healthy and keep resting!

    ReplyDelete