Sunday, February 10, 2008

Old Dublin, New Dublin

We made it to Dublin on Friday, and I have hardly been able to sit down since. Yesterday we were at a wedding all day, at a very posh and surely excruciatingly expensive venue in Central Dublin. We managed to organise child care for the older kids, even though Niamh's sister didn't make herself universally popular by turning up for baby sitting a whopping 5-and-a-half hours late. We took Maia with us, and she pretty much stole the show. I don't think I've ever had so many women smile at me (at least not since I've been walking around with the last baby), and we got tons of remarks how beautiful she is. That's always nice to hear, isn't it?

Even the running seems to go better here. I remarked to Niamh that either the world is shaped differently here or the roads just happen to be a lot flatter than the undulating ones in Kerry, but all of a sudden I'm running a lot faster at the same effort level and with a lower HR. Maybe me whining about all that in my previous post had some effect? Anyway, things are definitely on the up. I had plenty of people yesterday enquiring about how I felt (news of my pneumonia must have travelled far), and I constantly assured them that I feel fully recovered. Maybe it's psychosomatic that I seemed to feel some twinge in my left chest today? Anyway, I'm travelling back to Kerry tomorrow morning (very early morning!) and will have a chest x-ray in Tralee as soon as I get there, and I'm pretty sure I will get the all-clear.

I admit I ran a good bit faster over the last 2 miles yesterday because when the Garmin gave me an average pace of 8:01 I got a bit excited and put down the accelerator to get my first run under 8:00 pace in ages. To make up for that, I took it really easy today. Yesterday was a stunningly beautiful day and I had spotted some gentle green hills in the distance and decided to try and get there today. After a few tries I managed to find a twisty little road that led me out of the suburbs into what was essentially country side; a road that looked like most roads were like in Ireland 20 years ago, small, quaint, accident-prone and somehow very likeable. I couldn't help but notice the big building site whose obvious function is to replace that little country road with a broad, straight major through road, so that whoever wants to get from A to B can do so without the distraction of trees, fields and horses, and I was glad that I had found that little spot before the Celtic Tiger will eat up yet another piece of Old Ireland and replace it with concrete and steel.

The road eventually crossed the M50 motorway on a shiny, expensive, brand-new bridge, only to end 20 meters further at a gate with a mud track. Bizarre. Mary, my mother-in-law, knew what I was talking about when I described it. She's quite sure that there will be further developments soon in that area. Sometimes I really think there is far too much new money in this country.

8 Feb
8.5 miles, 1:11:47, 8:26 pace, HR 153
9 Feb
11.1 miles, 1:28:27, 7:58 pace, HR 159
10 Feb
13 miles, 1:47:31, 8:16 pace, HR 150

4 comments:

  1. Good to see your recovery progressing well. Hope your x-ray on Monday will give you the all clear - you'll be like a greyhound out of the traps.

    Unfortunately the sole indicator of progress in this country, like most of the western world, is wealth (and seeing how much of the countryside can be paved over - Cities should go up and not out - compact cities make for better and more economical public transport for a start)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just listening to the end of the Manchester Derby and thought of you! United have just scored but a great win for City! Well done.

    Good to read you are running daily again. Hope the x-ray is clear tomorrow.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's more like the 'Old Thomas'! 3 good runs while on the road with a wedding thrown in is impressive. Hope you get the all clear but caution should still be your watchword for a bit (I think). Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That all sounds positive Thomas (except for concrete and steel replacing the green hills). We have the same problem here, but thankfully there are still plenty of bush tracks to be found.

    ReplyDelete