Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Home Alone

Monday’s wake-up call was unusual. I’ve gotten up at 4:50 before, or even earlier, but at least then I got to run. Yesterday I had to get up at so early in order to drive across the entire country and get to work on time. I don’t think a lot of people ever had to commute from Dublin to Kerry, but since I could not possibly miss Gaga’s 75th birthday party on Sunday, and didn’t want to take an extra day off work, it required a very early start. I didn’t mind, after Manchester City’s win over the Old Enemy (also known as Manchester United, or the Filth, or the Scum, or a few slightly less endearing terms) I was so deliriously happy that nothing could possibly upset me. Actually I didn’t head straight to work, I drove via Tralee for my chest x-ray, the results of which I haven’t received yet. Niamh and the kids are still in Dublin, they will arrive tomorrow by train.

Of course I could not run before work, but I made up for it at lunchtime when I did a 5-mile loop in the bright sunshine. The weather was fabulous, so much so that I was definitely overdressed (I’m still overly cautious because of my pneumonia). The bigger problem was that I was anxious not to get back late, and ran a good bit faster than planned. I kept telling myself to slow down, but the legs had other ideas. In the end I was really pleased though, because I didn’t even know that I was still able to run at sub 7:30 pace, even at the expense of a rather high heart rate. To make up for it I ran very slowly today, and only after having a good night’s sleep. This time I was pleased to have the HR well into the 140s, but I know that I used to run that pace at much lower levels. But I can see some progress now, and am reasonably sure that I will be able to finish the Connemara Ultra 8 weeks from now, even though my original target of 5:15 seems to be well out of reach.

Since I don’t have to get the kids ready for school in the morning, I can afford to sleep a few minutes longer because it takes 20 minutes less to get ready. I might run around Caragh Lake tomorrow, for the first time since Christmas. I’ve felt absolutely fine on all of my runs since my latest comeback, and I’m sure I will be ok. I promise to take it easy over the hills, though.

11 Feb
5 miles, 37:05, 7:25 pace, HR 158
12 Feb
5 miles, 44:22, 8:52 pace, HR 146

5 comments:

  1. Good steady recovery Thomas.

    The only reason i'm "officially faster" than you is that you have not raced a short distance in six months. Your 5k PB was set last July and your 10k PB last April a target (Sub-40 min) that I hope to achieve this April.


    With the Connemara ultra in your sights I expect your focus will be endurance as opposed to speed over the next 8 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps Got accepted for the Ballycotton 10. Are you planning on running it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so looking forward to seeing the two of you both fit and in a race together! Place your bets ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pace and HR will come back--you'll be surprised how fit you are in eight weeks. You're demonstrating excellent patience.

    Caragh Lake...I'm jealous. I'm doing University Bike Path. Not nearly as interesting, and a lot colder. Have fun. =)

    ReplyDelete