Thursday, February 14, 2008

Back in the Loop

I said I would post another chart as soon as I would manage a run around Caragh Lake, and true to my word here it is. When I kept telling you that there are some serious climbs on the way, I wasn’t lying, and here is the proof. The toughest part are the three climbs in succession up to the highest part of the course, then it drops all the way down only to have another, albeit smaller, hill follow immediately. And the rest of the loop isn’t exactly flat either, but I guess that’s all good for me. Since I’m still recovering from pneumonia I took it easy on the climbs, but that’s a rather relative term. The HR was fairly high, but it didn’t feel as high. Oh, and one loop around the lake is just over 15 miles. I used to log 15.5. Ah well. Let’s say I gave myself a bonus half mile for all those hills.

It felt good to be on my old loop again. I hadn’t been there since that death march a few days before Christmas, when I felt like dying for the last 7 miles. Of course now I know that my lung infection was having a big effect on my body, and I should have been able to read the signs back then, but instead I kept ignoring them. I have resolved never to be so stupid again.

The run was great, the legs were fine, especially considering how long it had been since I had managed a run of that length. I felt some fatigue on the last 2 or 3 miles, but that was to be expected. I could easily have managed a bit extra towards the end, but I have to leave something for another run, don’t I?

And I got a phone call from my doctor, my x-ray results came back, and according to them I’m officially pneumonia-free. Actually, I noticed this morning that if I lie on my left side and take a really deep breath I can still feel “something” inside my chest. Apart from the obvious answer (“then don’t do that!”) it tells me that there is still some residue left, even if it didn’t show up in the x-ray. But, 2 weeks ago I was still in constant discomfort, and that’s definitely gone, so I know that I’m getting better. The weather has been spectacular over the last few days, there is not a cloud in the sky and there is no problem with the “no running in the rain” rule. Clear skies in February mean warm days but cold mornings, and the temperatures are always around the freezing point when I do my runs. I have noticed some icy patches on the road the last few days, but nothing major. I still refuse to set my alarm and instead get up whenever I wake up naturally, but I’ll have to change that next week if I want to do some decent mileage. Considering that the ultra is less than 8 weeks away I guess that’s settled.

13 Feb
15.05 miles, 2:04:37, 8:16 pace, HR 154
14 Feb
10.05 miles, 1:24:57, 8:27 pace, HR 149

11 comments:

  1. Nice! Bet that's a relief knowing you're getting back. And that looks like a great loop through some neat territory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy hill, beautiful lake, nice pace and heartrate for a comeback runner. Is this road off the beaten path for the most part? Sounds like our Boyden route except for the monster hill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good hill run! Glad you are feeling so much better. You seem be recovering fitness nicely too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to hear you are getting back to health and to see the longer runs in your stats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see you are getting going again. You have plenty of time to build up for your ultra.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see you back in familiar territory. That monster hill can only be good for you.

    I wouldn't worry about distance - it's the race times you've clocked up that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am tired only to look those hills!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thomas,

    Wow, you've been really sick! That's too bad, though it sounds like you're on the up and up again.

    I stopped by to thank you for reading my blog and supporting me over there. Thanks so much!

    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to hear that you're getting back out there, Thomas. The lake run sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a nice looking run Thomas. I agree, 15 miles over those hills is worth 15.5 on the flat. That looks like a low resolution GE image - we're lucky to have most populated areas shown in high resolution - you can see individual cars (but not runners).

    Have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you're feeling well enough to get a run around the lake.

    ReplyDelete