Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Summary

With four days to go, it's time for another summary post of my training. This will make it easy to get a quick overview of each training cycle in times to come.

Training: 20 weeks
Miles (with a few yet to come): 1286
# runs of 20 miles or more: 10
Highest weekly mileage: 86.5
# of weeks over 80 miles: 7
# of PRs: 2 (5k and 10k)
injuries: one, my hip problem

All in all I'm very pleased with that training cycle. I was pleasantly surprised about the number of 20-milers, I expected that number to be around 7 or so. The best weeks were the ones with the back-to-back 20-mile runs, and it's those double headers that give me the most reason for optimism. I think I will have a good race.

My hip feels good in the morning, and hurts more the longer the day goes on. I think sitting in an office chair for hours is the worst thing to do. As long as I manage to survive the drive to Connemara without problems, I will be ok.

I did some running in the last few days, namely 5 very easy miles on Monday, and 8 miles today, with a big fat goose egg in the middle. Monday's run was as slow as I could run without feeling uncomfortable. I don't think running as slowly as that would be a good idea, even for the beginning of the ultra. I felt cumbersome, and not really into it. I did produce my lowest heart rate for a training run ever, though. Tuesday produced my first voluntary zero, the only other days I had to take off were at the end of January, after I nearly cracked my skull open playing indoor soccer. And today was a dress rehearsal for the race. I wore the shoes, socks and top that will probably form my wardrobe on Sunday (depending on the Connemara weather), and tried to tune into the pace that felt easy enough to be sustainable, but faster than Monday’s clumsy run. I was a bit dismayed to find it raining, especially after yesterday had been such a gorgeous day, but I guess that’s preparation for Connemara as well – you can never rule out rain in the west of Ireland. After a first mile at around 8:40 and a second one at 8:20 I settled into about 8:00 pace, and felt thoroughly comfortable. If it’s the correct pace for Sunday, I don’t know. I guess I’ll find out one way or another. The return leg was against a fairly strong headwind, which is the most likely cause for the fact that the return leg took longer than the outgoing one, something that’s very unusual for me. I did manage to keep it easy until the end though, headwind or not.

I’m as ready as I will ever be. I can’t wait. Bring it on! My race number is 39061 (the 39 is for the ultra distance, they don't have 40000 runners there), but that information won't help you. Tracking? You've gotta be joking, This is a low-tech race for down-to-earth runners.

26 Mar: 5 miles, 44:09. 8:49 pace, HR 133 (felt too slow)
27 Mar: 0
29 Mar: 8 miles, 1:05:11, 8:08 pace, HR 139 (felt just right)

11 comments:

  1. Best of fun and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's some mileage. Won't be long till you need an oil change and new spark plugs under the bonnet!

    Best of luck.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck and speed. Enjoy yourself when you're out there, this is what it's all about and you've done the work... time to reap the rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thomas,
    You'll do great! I can't wait to hear the story. Run like the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get all your stuff together for the race early and make sure you get that all important sleep over the next couple of days! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your plan. Easy 830-800 ish pace for the 1/2 mar warmup and then ease into the real race. Walk breaks on the steepest parts to save energy? You will do awesome! Can't wait for the report. Have a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how exciting! looking forward to reading all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arrived just in time to wish you to enjoy and all the energy so you can do your best!

    Incredible distances you are running how proud you should feel. You deserve it, with all that hard work suppourting you.

    Now you can find me at:
    http://wanttorunmore.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ten 20-milers is an awful lot - you definitely sound ready. Have a great race!

    ReplyDelete