Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Long Weekend

I did some more soul searching Thursday evening regarding the length of Friday’s run. I studied some more marathon training plans on the web like Hal Higdon’s, and noticed that they don’t run more than 12 miles two weeks before race day, even on the advanced schedule. I therefore settled on running 12.5 miles, which is the loop to the southern tip of Caragh Lake and back via the Kerry Way. Before winter I had planned to do most of my hill training on that trail, but the weather put me off, running through ankle deep puddles, mud and very slippery stones didn’t exactly appeal on pitch dark mornings at 5am in December or January. The last three or fours day had been mainly dry and I reckoned the trail should be ok. I was right, and it proved to be a fantastic run. The big climb starts shortly after the 5-mile point, and goes up by about 250 meters (800 feet) over the next 3 miles. The climb was less challenging that expected, and the view there is unbeatable. I might bring a camera later in the year, when the lightning conditions are more favourable. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and was almost disappointed when I rejoined the road on my way home.

Afterwards I checked Pfitzinger’s plan, and he recommends 17 miles for the long run 2 weeks before the race. Ah well. It won’t make a noticeable difference come race day, and I enjoyed myself so much that I have absolutely no regrets. Unfortunately, my hip started hurting again in the hours after the run. It had never gone back to feeling 100% right, but it was just some niggle that I could live with. Now I’m a bit worried, but hopefully stretching and icing will get the better of it again.

I tried to take it easy on Saturday; I imagined myself on the beginning of the ultra, and tired to get into a nice steady rhythm. The plan fell apart when I thought back to Sunday’s 10k race, and before I knew it I was running 30 seconds per mile faster than intended. Once again I enjoyed running so much that I decided to keep going like that. But I know full well that if I set off at that pace in Connemara, I will be toast by the halfway point.

I had left quite early on Saturday, around 8am, because a storm had been predicted, and I wanted to get my run done before it arrived. I timed it very well, less than an hour later the wind and rain started and made it a rather miserable St. Patrick’s Day. We gave the parade a miss, and went to an indoor children’s party later that afternoon instead. The kids enjoyed it, but of course it was all rather chaotic, and I was relieved when we finally left.

Today is Mother’s Day in Ireland, and I started to day cooking breakfast in bed for my beloved, as well as feeding the offspring, all the while starving myself because I intended to go running later. Niamh certainly looked like she enjoyed both the breakfast as well as the cards we made. Between the storm, the pain in my hip and not wanting to leave Niamh to look after our unruly brood I was about to give up hope for a run when she told me to go. She must have seen the look in my eyes. The storm had abated somewhat, and off I went towards Ard-na-Sidhe for a set of mile repeats. I much prefer continuous running, but in gale force winds the only reasonable way to run fast is the one sheltered part of that road, and since it’s only about one mile long I have to settle for repeats. I’m almost embarrassed to write down the numbers. The first one went ok, for the second one I felt very slow and kept pushing and pushing only to end it much faster than intended. That one knocked the stuffing out of me, and I was just hanging on for the last 2, trying to avoid embarrassing time. The windy conditions didn’t help, and the actual times were 6:33, 6:19, 6:36 and 6:44. The odd ones are on a net downhill but against the wind, the even ones are uphill but wind-assisted. I can never quite figure out which ones should be faster, I guess it depends on the wind, but since I only do mile repeats on very windy days, it tends to be rather strong in places. Also, if I want to run good mile repeats, I shouldn’t run 7:30 the day before. Doh!

I’d better go, Mother’s Day isn’t over yet, and I’ve got some more treats in store. Have a Good One!

16 Mar: 12.5 miles, 1:41:06, 8:05 pace, HR 145
17 Mar: 7 miles, 53:00, 7:34 pace, HR 152
18 Mar: 7.5 miles, 55:11, 7:21 pace, HR 152, 4 miles repeats 6:33, 6:19, 6:36, 6:44

Weekly mileage: 75 miles

7 comments:

  1. It's nice of you to cook breakfast for your wife. It's a good thing that Niamh can't pop in for a quick chat with my wife and compare notes :)

    I won't be embarresed by your 6:30 mile repeats in gail-force winds. Heck, I'd be estatic with one 6:30 mile on a track with no wind!

    Another great week of workouts. I think your ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Michlle read your blog I'm going to tell her that that breakfast thing is an Irish tradition not a US tradition. Yeah that will work!

    Make sure you don't over do it with your hip now buster! Less is more at this point. Let everything heal and energize!

    Enjoy the taper and have fun with your runs in the next few days like you did on the trail!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great plan organising that breakfast in bed. Always goes down a treat! How bout that Irish Cricket team eh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, an Irish Tradition, uh-huh. I don't think so! Luckily for Eric, I'd rather get breakfast out after my run.

    April 1 is creeping ever closer...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, you are flying. Just think back to where you were 1 year ago. Did you suppose you'd be at this spot with your running? So impressive. Take care and rest up. That big run is coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although not a serious runner by the blogger posts' standards, I enjoy reading yours and some others.

    Sounds like you're doing fantastically by the post.

    One of these days, Jon and I will have to make to Ireland to visit the land of our ancestors! If you can make it sound so appealing during bust your gut runs, than it must be amazing on a tourist's pace!

    Erin Daugherty (wife of iphiclus)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be careful when cooking breakfast in bed...might catch the sheets on fire.

    ReplyDelete