Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Racing Weight

At the start of last 2011, I weighed about 150 pounds (10 st 10, 68 kg). After years of figuring things out, I finally managed to gradually drop that to about 145 pounds (10 st 5, 66 kg) by the end of the year, without dieting or any other silly stuff. My reward was a year of fantastic progress with new PBs all over the shop; while improved training has much to do with this, carrying fewer pounds had an impact as well, I am in no doubt.

I was hoping this trend would continue, but not much luck yet. The arrival of lent came as a welcome excuse to partake in this quaint ritual again, even though I am not religious. For the third year in a row I am cutting out processed sugar from my diet, with the lack of chocolate being a particularly tough cross to bear (and the fact that I ended up creating some great desserts the other night for the rest of the family was a particularly cruel twist of fate). Anyway, cutting out sugar has worked spectacularly well the last 2 years with the weight dropping off my frame quickly and effortlessly, but so far all I have to show for it are sugar cravings, not weight loss. Maybe I am just impatient, one week is nothing in the great scheme of things, but when you’re having cravings and the end of the slog is not anywhere in sight, a little bit of progress would be nice.

By the way, I have read the book of the same name. I found it a good read but not too helpful; I guess my weight was already too low and my diet disciplined enough for generic suggestions to be of much use.

Anyway, running is much more fun than dieting. Donadea is still in the legs but last week’s easy mileage helped a lot and recovery is going well. While I never was sore, there was a certain “heavy legs” feeling. That pretty much went away on Tuesday; the first 2 miles of that run were the same, then all of a sudden I felt better with each step and was flying on the way home. Running was fun again.

I won’t kid myself and pretend to be fully recovered. 50 km take a bit longer to get out of the system, but I felt sufficiently encouraged to try some sort of workout on Tuesday. The plan was mellow enough, just 12 miles at 7:15 pace, and despite the breezy conditions it felt so easy that I inadvertently overshot the target and ran 7:10 pace instead. No problem, that’s close enough and the legs are perfectly fine. Maybe the nice mornings are helping, it’s a nice change from all the rain we seemingly had all winter.

And of course it’s Ballycotton on Sunday. Maybe it’s not the best preparation for Connemara, 4 weeks later, but I can’t miss it, it has become too much a fixture in my calendar – despite me saying I would not do it again after my first time there.
27 Feb
8 miles, 1:03:34, 7:57 pace, HR 132
28 Feb
8 miles, 1:02:42, 7:50 pace, HR 136
29 Feb
12 miles, 1:25:57, 7:10 pace, HR 147

5 comments:

  1. skinny bugger ;-) weighed myself on 1st jan 190 pounds. ran over 500 miles since then still 190 pounds ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas, If you, or anyone else reading this has any solutions to the sugar craving problem please, PLEASE let us all know.

    For me its doubly bad, when i do give in to them (and i allways do), then its not like i have one piece of chocolate, or even one bar... Its very much a situation where once i start i have a really really hard time stopping myself.

    Normally i dont give too hoots, because in the great scheme of things i run so much that the occasional blow out doesnt matter, however just at the moment im trying to reach a specifc race weight.

    Good luck with the lent resolutions, 1 week done means ONLY 3 weeks to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul,

    Lent is about 7 weeks long........

    ReplyDelete
  4. 66kg is a good weight. I'm sitting on 74-75 and look skinny enough, but when I was racing my best (20 years ago) I was sitting on 71.

    I'm backing Grellan for Ballycotton but haven't decided for Coonemara.

    Re the sugar and craving... reward yourself with ONE SQUARE of chocolate - it's the half block that puts on the weight ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One square of chocolate won't work, just like "one cigarette" doesn't work either.

    And Grellan's gonna eat my dust tomorrow if he runs in his funny Vibrams again.

    ReplyDelete