Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Putting On The Brakes

Right now my main problem is that Connemara is still over 6 weeks away, and the most recent runs have clearly shown that I am nearing peak shape - a bit too early. This has taken me by surprise; the pace over the last two weekends seems to have come out of nowhere. I'm pretty sure I peaked too early last year for Vienna - I would have had a better run a couple of weeks earlier. This year, I tried to compress the schedule by a week or two, but I can see the same thing happening again.

In an attempt to slow down the peaking process, I changed my schedule this week. Initially I had planned another volume speed session on Wednesday, following the by now pretty much customary two days of easy running at the start of the week. I left the easy runs as they were, but swapped the workout for a longer run at steady pace, a bit faster than the planned pace for the Ultra.

I really had to reign myself in over the first few miles, the Garmin saw a lot of use. It took a while to tune into the effort, but once I got into the right mindset, the miles ticked off nicely one by one - until about mile 12, when fatigue started to creep in. I was a bit surprised by that, on Sunday I had run 20 miles a little bit faster and on pre-fatigued legs feeling fine and I did not expect to feel challenged this morning, but obviously I haven't quite recovered from the weekend yet.

Saturday will be Donadea day. The weather forecast is rather unkind, apparently that rain front will cross Ireland right when we're out there on the course.

When I first heard about that race, it seemed like a great idea; a long 50k training run 6 weeks before Connemara sounded just perfect. Now I'm a bit nervous, I hope I will be able to recover in time, not just for Connemara but for a bit more training beforehand (and Ballycotton).

This will be mainly about time on feet. I'm trying to get this into my head, Do No Race This! I started with the same intentions in Sixmilebridge and failed. Then again, I won't be anywhere near the front of the field in Donadea; no winner's trophy to tempt me. Lucky me.

Do Not Race, Thomas. Do Not Race!

13 Feb
8 miles, 1:04:56, 8:07 pace, HR 132
14 Feb
10 miles, 1:20:51, 8:05 pace, HR 131
15 Feb
15 miles, 1:48:33, 7:14 pace, HR 140

10 comments:

  1. 6 weeks to the race? Minus 2 for taper and we have 4 perfect weeks for race pace specific training. One way to do this is to do two core workouts a week (each week the core workout gets longer) to get the body used to running the (slower) race pace efficiently. The rest being striders or slow recovery. Sometimes the legs get good and fast (and fuel efficient) but at the wrong (faster) pace. Four weeks of specificity might do wonders. Looks like you're on top of things here. Looking so fit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrews making a lot of sense.

    Do the race pace runs actually at race pace

    And perhapes trying to work on distance hardening the legs a bit more with more frequent back to back runs?

    otherwise, I gotta say its a nice 'problem' to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best of luck Thomas. You will be running this weekend quite close to where I live in Clane, but I will be in the Kingdom for the weekend, in Kenmare. These days, I feel a bit of a stalker, though, as I try to configure my own marathon plan from your blog, Pfitzinger & Douglas and Running Lydiard's Way. Your blog is great 'cos it's somebody improving in 'real' time, as it were, lending it credibility. Not that I'll ever have your pace. Ok. Enough 'gushing'. Best of luck and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. imagine thomas you are in 4th place with 200 metres left. you feel strong and you know with a strong burst you can win this!!! what do you do !!!! ;-)

    best of luck on saturday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you biggest challenge this weekend is controlling the adrenalin so you don't race the 50k but instead sit back and run your own training distance.

    Much easier said than done. I've never been able to achieve it myself and am thinking of doing the Wicklow Way 50k in March which from some blogs I've been reading could be classified as 'hilly'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure I buy the idea of "peaking". Is it a mental thing or truly physical? I guess I've never felt that I've peaked so I wouldn't no the feeling. I feel perpetually under prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't brake too hard or you may loose momentum.

    It seems to me that, with your concern over recovery from Donadea, you are already subsciously planning to race it. Unless you're concerned about recovering from a 50k run at Connemara target pace? I don't think that should be an issue given your recent training.

    The danger of course is that you run somewhere between training and racing pace and get the benefit of neither. I don't know if I would sign up for a 50k halfway across the country to get a long training run in.

    Anyway Thomas, the best of luck whatever you decide to do on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrew sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Tune your best-ever fitness to the pace of the goal race.

    This weekend, DO NOT RACE.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great one tomorrow. I'll be running 50K as well, but at a fat ass which makes it easier to not race it. Hope you get the outcome you think is best tomorrow. Avoid the temptation of chasing too many folks down (or keeping them off your tail).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel that its better to be under trained than over, so based on how you are going right now backing off and havin an easy week would be good all round.
    Biggest mistake I and must runners make is to over cook it it before the table is laid!
    ie you want to be fresh for the party :0]

    ReplyDelete