Thursday, February 02, 2012

Easy does it

Despite feeling very good, I have been taking it easy this week.

Let me rephrase that.

Because I was feeling very good, I have been taking it easy this week.

The reason for this apparently counter-intuitive training is that my former coach’s warnings are still in my ear
When you are in peak shape your mind ignores fatigue, good for racing but not good for training.

Connemara is still 2 months away, I do not want to peak just yet, but the fact that I ran the second half of Sunday’s workout at 7:07 pace without feeling tired, even though I should have started the run with already fatigued legs after a reasonably tough run on Saturday tells me to be cautious. As strange as it sounds, not feeling fatigue can be a real problem in training, leading to overtraining and injury, and it’s a trap a lot of runner fall into. I’d rather not.

So it was a succession of easy runs, all at a HR that was below the threshold the coach had set me last year. I got a bit bored after running like that on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, so I spiced things up this morning with 4 sets of 4x30 seconds sprints, 2 minutes recovery between sprints and about 5 or 6 minutes recovery between sets. That’s a fair amount of sprinting, but the legs took it in their stride, so to speak.

I received an email this morning that cheered me up no end, and which more or less finalised my racing plans for 2012. After Donadea and Connemara there will be my big goal race in July (no further details yet, even though I have told a couple of people already) and then, mostly for fun, the Dingle Ultra in September. Excellent news! I had my doubts if this race would be resurrected, but this has now been confirmed. It’s a fantastic course, taking in Conor Pass as well as Slea Head, staking a big claim for the most scenic road race ever. I also want to improve on my time from 2010, but mostly I want to have at least as much fun as last time round.

Can you tell I'm excited?
30 Jan
8 miles, 1:05:17, 8:10 pace, HR 134
31 Jan
10 miles, 1:18:49, 7:53 pace, HR 137
1 Feb
10 miles, 1:20:17, 8:02 pace, HR 137
2 Feb
10 miles, 1:18:41, 7:52 pace, HR 139
    incl. 4 x 4x30 sec sprints

13 comments:

  1. Excellent training advice about the lack of fatigue. I will try to remember it.

    Goal race in July? When will you let the cat out of the bag?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After Connemara, Andrew. But some people might start guessing anyway. And I've told a few in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thought you might be pushing for a sub 3 in dublin especially considering grellan mc grath did it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've broken 3 hours already. I'll race my next marathon early 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post on the fatigue (or absence of it). You've been cruisin'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting quote from the coach - makes ye think a bit... thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tosh about the fatigue, ever hear about Noakes' central governer theory? You need to increase the intensity of the training to see real improvements.

    Thomas, looking at your recent marathon times, you've been taking it quite easy in training :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. *sigh* Apologies for being blunt, but you're an idiot.

    1) I'm very familiar with Noakes. The increased intensity is for workouts, not easy runs, and I'm doing just that.

    2) My recent marathons were all as a PACER! I haven't raced a marathon since Vienna.

    ReplyDelete
  9. are you going to be doing that 24 hour race in belfast? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Running for a day will be an "interesting" experience ;)

    Your training is going well - I see a half marathon today in 1:27 at HR 160. Nice running!

    ReplyDelete