Sunday, February 26, 2012

Long Overdue Update

I'm not sure if I ever left as much between updates of this blog - apologies! The main reason for the lack of updates is a distinct lack of news. I have been taking it very, very easy this week, and there simply isn't much to tell about a 5 mile jog.

I grew suspicious of the HRM figure displayed yesterday; while I had been taking it easy, the figure of 131 just seemed too low, especially as the pace had been (inadvertently) a good bit faster than on previous days. This was confirmed today. I was already in doubts when I saw a figure of 122 while cruising along, and when the number dropped to 100 on an uphill section it left no doubt. I hope a new battery in the chest strap will solve the problem. It has always done so in the past. Let's hope the new numbers won't be magnitudes higher than the previous ones.

All this leaves a doubt over any HR number in the recent past, but if past experience with a faulty HR strap is anything to go by, they should be okay until the last day or two. This would indicate that my cardiovascular system has already gotten a boost from Saturday's 50k while the legs are still in a kind of shock and will require more time until they bounce back.

I've had that wonderful "effortlessly-floating-over-the-tarmac" feeling on many runs of the past few weeks, but Donadea put a stop to that. It will take a while to return. But you do need to shock your system from time to time. That's how adaptation occurs. Six weeks should be just enough time to reap all the benefits for Connemara.

I'm starting to get excited about that race now. If recent training is anything to go by, I will have a stormer. Of course, you can never take anything for granted in an ultra.

Actually, there is still next week's Ballycotton, of course. It's probably not the ideal thing to do as far as Connemara is concerned, but Ballycotton is just way to big a day to ignore. Until last Saturday I was very much on course for a new PB there, but now all will depend on how quickly the legs can recover.

22 Feb
5 miles, 39:19, 7:51 pace, HR 134
23 Feb
5 miles, 40:31, 8:06 pace, HR 133
24 Feb
8 miles, 1:03:09, 7:53 pace, HR 134
25 Feb
8 miles, 1:00:49, 7:36 pace, HR 131 (???)
26 Feb
10 miles, 1:16:08, 7:36 pace, HR ???

Weekly Mileage: 46

1 comment:

  1. Just don't let too many Vibram wearers beat you at Ballycotton ;)

    ReplyDelete