Saturday, August 13, 2011

Sweet

Shea: Dad, why do you sometimes run in the rain?
Dad: I run every day, even when it's raining
Shea: Oh, and if you didn't run that much, would you not be able to race as fast?
Dad: That's exactly it.

I think he's grasped the basics of training. Maybe he'll be able to coach me one day.

Luckily I did not have to deal with rain this weekend. Saturday started cloudy and I had my run in ideal conditions, and when the sun came out in the afternoon it turned into pretty much a perfect day. There's not much to say about my run, just 7 miles at what should have been easy pace, but I kept thinking about Dingle and for whatever reason that made me run faster than planned. Still, I felt good.

My family seem determined to turn me into a fat slob, now even the kids have started baking. They got a cook book and some paraphernalia, and now there's no stopping them. I knew which parent is to blame for that one! Luckily, they are great at making sure Daddy doesn't eat too many of the damn things.

With Dingle only three weeks away I thought I'd better get one long(ish) hilly run under my belt, so I set out around Caragh Lake. For some strange reason, this is my third pacing gig and the third time that I only did one 15 mile "long" run. Still, the other two pacing gig went very well and I should be ok for this one as well.

While I felt a bit tired after only 8 miles, I got over that and the rest of the run went well. The sun came out but I was back home before the heat and dehydration became an issue.

I was a bit worried about my knee as I banged it badly on Saturday. It was slightly swollen and hurt with each step, but it never got any worse during the run and I eventually forgot about it. The achilles issue I mentioned a few days ago seems to have gone away as well. Being un-injured is something you tend to take for granted until injury strikes, so it's good from time to time to remember and appreciate being able to run.
13 Aug
7 miles, 53:01, 7:34 pace, HR 149
14 Aug
15 miles, 1:58:48, 7:55 pace, HR 147

No comments:

Post a Comment