Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Should Have Done This AGES Ago

I was spoiled for choice last weekend with no less than 3 races on offer. As you know, I did the “5K” (haha) on Saturday, but there was also another 5K and the IMRA Mangerton race on Sunday, all within easy distance from home. After feeling like being hit by a bus after Saturday, neither was an option, really, but I decided to make up a bit for missing out on Mangerton by running up the nearest mountain from home, Seefin.

That’s a run I had been planning on doing for ages, but never got round to because there was always some “real” training to be done. The weather was beautiful when I got ready to go out, cloudy when I left home and raining within a mile, but luckily it improved again. I took it easy, especially as the legs felt rather heavy from the race and I took my time. I ran for as long as possible, even on the rougher terrain, but started hiking on the last, very steep bit up to the summit. There are no less than 3 three cairns on top of the mountain, and one of them had a funny circle of white stones around it, which can even be made out on the Google Earth screenshot (if you click on it). I picked up a small stone as memento (and because the boys love collecting “interesting stones”) and headed back home, taking a more direct route down the mountain. It had taken me just over 50 minutes to get from our door to the top and slightly over half an hour to get back home and I think it was the perfect way to get the legs moving that day and to get the painful memories of the race flushed out.

There is yet another race this Sunday. After Saturday’s howler I’d normally be inclined to give it a miss, but as it is in the neighbouring village I may just participate for the fun of it, but then that’s it, my racing season is over, and within hindsight it probably should have been so 3 weeks ago. I have the small matter of two marathons ahead of me, but since I am running both of them at the relatively sedate pace of 3:30, those will count as training runs for next spring, really. I am already looking forward to next year. It might be a bit premature, but I take it as a good sign that the mojo for the longer distances has returned.

I need to get rid of that cold first, though. I have booked a doctor’s appointment.
21 Aug
7.8 miles, 1:25:47, 10:59 pace, HR 143
   mountain run, mostly off-road
22 Aug
5 miles, 38:33, 7:43 pace, HR 143
23 Aug
8 miles, 1:02:46, 7:51 pace, HR 147

4 comments:

  1. What's this comment about "real training". The mountains are where it's at. I can't believe you Live within touching distance of the mountains and you are not compelled to run up them everyday. What I wouldn't give to live down there. Anyway I'm sure you will eventually see sense and leave the road for the path less travelled!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair enough Paul, but to a road runner, "real training" happens on the road. Specificity and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do a good balance of road and trail so for me real training is on both. My racing season never stops. I run races all year round. In fact I never knew about racing season until I started reading blogs. I always thought everyone just runs races every month and sometimes every week or day even.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Training on mountains is fun (I'm told). Our M55 marathon record holder does a lot of mountain running. A few laps of your local mountain would be good training for Jungfrau too ;)

    ReplyDelete